C5 2001 Anti-pollution fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

captaintau
My Cars:

C5 2001 Anti-pollution fault

Post by captaintau »

Hello. I think I may be going over old ground here so apologies. But then, things change. It seems the Anti-Pollution fault and yellow engine warning light is very common on C5s but most if not all discussion seems to be about diesel models.

My car is a 2L 2001 C5 estate petrol

When I first went to see it, the yellow light was on and the fault was a pollen filter. The seller fixed this before I collected the car two days later, this being around three weeks ago. I've only done short (20 mile) journeys since then until this past weekend.

On Saturday I was going down the M40 when the yellow light and the anti-pollution warning started. At the first opportunity I googled the problem and most answers came from this forum. A few points and questions:
- The car did not enter "limp home" mode and actually performed excellently the whole journey and back again
- Presumably I have to go to a Citroen dealer to get the fault warning reset?
- Am I correct in thinking that this generation of C5 don't have OBD II ports? Can I reset the fault myself?
- How does this stork control for "check control" (or something) on the LCD work? I still get an error for windscreen wash every time I start the car even though I know it's fine
- Will this still cost me hundreds to change the filter and the common rail and so on?
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Re: C5 2001 Anti-pollution fault

Post by Ben82 »

Check here for the Members with a Lexia locations: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=29178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If someone is nearby then try contacting them, they can help reset the fault and get more info on it.
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

captaintau wrote: When I first went to see it, the yellow light was on and the fault was a pollen filter.
Either you have got the information here wrong or the seller is talking nonsense. The pollen filter is for filtering air that comes into the cabin, nothing to do with the engine management system.
captaintau wrote: - Presumably I have to go to a Citroen dealer to get the fault warning reset?
You dont reset the fault warning, you need to fix the fault first. If you just reset it the chances are it will come back again very soon. Presumably this is what the seller has likely just done.
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Above replies spot on.
Anti-pollution fault can cover a whole list of problems, certainly does on the diesels. Not necessarily expensive though, certainly can't write off the car at this early stage :) .
If you open the glovebox is there a removable cover, LHS? You should find the OBD connector under there to connect up a Lexia (diagnostic tool).
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
captaintau
My Cars:

Post by captaintau »

Monkeyfeet wrote:If you open the glovebox is there a removable cover, LHS? You should find the OBD connector under there to connect up a Lexia (diagnostic tool).
I found the fusebox there but didn't look at it. I have a cheapo diagnostic tool from eBay that I used on my Mondeo, which was notorious for lambda sensor faults. Can I reset the fault this way?
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

captaintau wrote:
Monkeyfeet wrote:If you open the glovebox is there a removable cover, LHS? You should find the OBD connector under there to connect up a Lexia (diagnostic tool).
I found the fusebox there but didn't look at it. I have a cheapo diagnostic tool from eBay that I used on my Mondeo, which was notorious for lambda sensor faults. Can I reset the fault this way?
Should be able to read and erase them, yeah, as long as its OBDII.
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!