A (re) introduction.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tomsheppard
My Cars:

A (re) introduction.

Post by tomsheppard »

Some years ago I used to spend a lot of time tinkering with BXs and enjoying doing so. Times changed and I bought a new car which has broken down three times in the first five years. Every time in France. It doesn't like the place. I do. There can only be one winner.
I'm putting it up for sale.
In the interim, my needs have changed. The current requirement is for a towbar for which my car is not type approved. The money is tight as I squander most of it on paying bills and spend the rest on getting high at weekends.
Four years ago I bought a 405 which went over to France to be my local car. Dave Nixon appropriated that having blown up his Espace again. I looked out for another but they are either rotten or expensive.
I looked for a Xantia instead because I wanted an HDI and I wasn't keen on the 406. One of the Xantiae had a header tank full of sludge and the next had nothing at all. A third was being sold by a dealership in Sxlxsbxry
and despite an advertised 180,000 miles, it was clearly an ex taxi (The holes in the dash for the mic mount were there when I looked for them)and it had clearly done a LOT more than that. The Dealers are shilling it as well judging by the number of zero bidders.
After about four hundred miles of searching, I went back to Gumtree. An hour earlier somebody ten miles away had advertised a 405 GLX TD estate. Diesel, aircon, estate and towbar. Ticket until November. £325. All boxes ticked. It needs only me to check the head gasket to be the new surface travelling machine.
I called. "Somebody will be here at four."
"I'll be there at half past three." I was.
The tyres all have plenty of tread and although I buy premium brands, this is back to bangerdom so good. The HG is fine and the starter motor is brand new. The radio was working as was the plip. The clutch was fairly light and if the aircon doesn't work, I can fix that, oh, yes.
It wanted a few turns to get going and then started on four so there may be a minor primer issue. The wheels are a nice five spoke ally type (Topaz, I think) and the only problem is a busted glass on the passenger door mirror.
The interior is solid and unmolested. I closed the deal at £300. If it passes a structural audit, I might be able to keep it for years!
I'm a very happy Tom. I've got another 405 and I can now tow the trailer hangar back to the workshop and get BZOR back in the air. Next week I'm off to France. I'm looking forward to it!
I'll report in from time to time and doubtless will need a bit of advice here and there as I get this one scrubbed up and pretty.
Be happy: it is a way of being wise. (Confucius.)
'92 TZD Estate(Grolliffe), Gone but never to be forgotten.
'95 405 GLX TD Estate. too new to name.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: A (re) introduction.

Post by CitroJim »

Good to see you again Tom and a very warm welcome back :-D I guess you've noticed this forum looks a bit different now but the old ethos remains as strong as ever :-D

The old 405s are excellent cars indeed. I had two years ago and loved them to bits. Sounds like you've caught yourself a real good one there...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Welcome back Tom

The 406s are good to, if you can stand the ride after a hydropnumatic. I am surprised at mine, 25,000 miles and hasn't missed a beat, its now at 213,000 miles. It handles better than the C5 and gives you a confident feeling but not the space and comfort of course. Anyway, your TD shouldn't be to difficult to look after.

Peter
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Thanks Pete. I spent some time looking at what went wrong with the HDI and came to the conclusion that the benefits of the HDI engine were outweighed by terrible problems with both electronic reliability and the complete inability of Citroen or anybody else to correctly diagnose faults with it, which, together with its tendencies to both invent faults and to jump into limp mode when it felt so inclined made it look like an insane choice against a pump driven XUD. I had already decided that I would go for one instead before the 405 arrived. I like it for its handling. The chassis is very much better than that of a BX as is the build quality.
It doesn't look as good and is nowhere near as much fun but it will do the job.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

picked the brute up last night. It is a GTX and not a GLX. I've not found the cd player yet but i found most of the rest of it. the electrics are fairly mad and it has a few clonks, a new sillencer and a cheerful disposition. The sunroof leaks and it wants the drains doing, the tyres all match and the exhaust looks new. Can't wait to get the pressure washer on it.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

We need to see some pictures Tom :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

It just keeps getting better. I did get to open the rear passenger door and it looks like it will need a bit of thought to make it open and shut reliably. Door cards will be off for cleaning soon anyway. Today's triumphs were the trip to Tescos for a quick clean. The amazing difference makes the car look much tidier. Now it is washed, it can be cleaned. The thick earth wire I fitted to the tailgate got the tailgate lights working. I ran it out through the HRW hole and may look at a better way of doing it some other time but for now, it works. A loose nyloc on top of a strut was tightened to good effect which suggests that I need a strut top bearing.
I need to find the external temperature sensor and to remove the clock to have a word with the bulbs.
The one to the right of the speedo needs replacing as well and I still haven't found the sunroof drains.
The Plip receiver has lost all its range, I'm hoping it is damp and I found the plug that once went to the CD.
Once I find the audio input, the MP3 player will be interfaced into the original radio. Next up, the towbar electrics will get a service, the one failed track in the rear window will be repaired, the new mirror will be fitted and the touch up paint will be acquired.
First Officer Dreadful likes it and suggests that it will be very well suited for shopping She finds it comfortable, the fan loud and the heater effective. Pictures will follow before long.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

It is likely the external temperature sensor is mounted in the left wing mirror. Based on what I have read on the forum, that is where they are on the C5. The trick is removing the mirror glass without breaking it.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... or#p360617" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I personally have no experience of either the C5 or the 405, but I enjoy reading things on the forum.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 22 Mar 2013, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

The glass on this side is already busted so I expect that the sensor is due for a bit of rewiring. It would be good to have it working.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

IIRC the engine management system also uses the sensor to get the ambient temperature to allow it to make adjustments to improve the efficiency, so replacing the sensor will do more than let you know how cold it is outside.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

It also affects the functioning of the climate control which is why I had to change mine, they are not cheap though and only obtainable from Citroen.

Peter
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

sorry gents; that is codswallop.
The Diesel in a 405 is not controlled by an ecu and the connection from the thermistor only goes into the clock/thermostat indicator and so has no effect on the air conditioning. The car has an interior thermistor to allow the system to match the set temperature and one in the evaporator to prevent the latter from freezing up. The external sensor is for information only.

Meanwhile, the headlining is partially lowered in order to sort out the leak from the sunroof. The drain tube may have been blocked and then shoved a little too hard. It may have been a little loose but a tube of Evil Stink has sorted that out if it is the problem and it has also restuck the droopy bit of the headlining and repaired the privacy shelf. The new mirror has arrived and will be fitted come morning which will involve removing the door card. So far, progress is swift and the new car is nearly ready for its first long run.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Then please accept my apologies for giving you mis-leading information. I probably got it from reading about a petrol C5, and I did not know that a diesel C5 would not need it.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Furthermore, we are in the Peugeot forum talking about a 405!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I agree, but as Peugeot and Citroen share a lot of things, I thought it possible that the thermistor would be mounted on the same place as a similar PSA car. I was only trying to help.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+