got to force it into gear

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

john
My Cars:

got to force it into gear

Post by john »

clutch feels slightly heavy (could be normal as im not used to a cable clutch), you can hear a couple of "clunks" when changing gear (1 crunch when into neutral and another when it goes into gear), noise appears to be coming from the gearstick.

whislt in gear the car is fine, no grumbling or whining, so im thinking it could be the linkage? is this the most likely cause?

ps its a w-reg 1.8 berlingo multispace BE3 i beleive.
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: got to force it into gear

Post by CitroJim »

Sounds more like the clutch is dragging. Where is the clutch bite point and does this happen when engaging all gears, both up and down the 'box...

Does the same thing happen when engaging a gear (say first or reverse) when stationary?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
john
My Cars:

Post by john »

biting point is about 1/2 way (no higher), 1st has to be forced unless the car is creeping then it goes stright in, 5 goes in no problem as does reverse, car has done 94k and still on original clutch i believe.

another point, i changed the driveshaft oil seals last year and was expecting some oil to come out when i removed the shafts, but none did.
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

If no oil came out when the shafts were out the oil level is highly likely to be far too low. :( ,

I'd estimate (given a capacity of about two litres of gearbox oil) with a shaft removed you'd lose about one litre possibly a bit more. I've never really checked / drained to see how much is really in with just a shaft out.

I seem to think later variants of this box did away with the level plug (very early (84/85ish?) BE box's did not have them either I think?) , I think at W plate it will have a level plug.

I wonder if there's some internal damage, syncro's maybe but I know little about transmission internals. I'd check the level or ensure it does have enough lubricant in.

To clarify the answer to Jim's post, with the engine running and the vehicle stationary, depress the clutch and select reverse. Can you select it easily and without any noise ?
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

I'd be tempted to ease the drain plug and check the colour of the oil. If it's not nice and clear, I'd drain off what's left and refill with new.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
john
My Cars:

Post by john »

spider wrote: To clarify the answer to Jim's post, with the engine running and the vehicle stationary, depress the clutch and select reverse. Can you select it easily and without any noise ?
yes, reverse is nice and easy to select, no noise what's so ever.

when I changed the seals I filled up with fresh oil.
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

It's strange that reverse doesn't crunch, but I'd still suspect the clutch dragging. When you're stationary and press the clutch down everything in the gearbox should stop, just as if the engine was switched off. Therefore 1st should select easily. Clutch is quite easy (and inexpensive) to do on a berlingo.
john
My Cars:

Post by john »

whats the chance of the clutch cable being stretched? would that cause the clutch to drag?
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

A stretched cable could cause that although they don't tend to stretch as far as I'm aware. If it was stretched it would not operate the arm enough, ie it would drag.

The self adjuster which is part of the cable is normally reliable too, Have not seen many actually fail.

Is it a pull / push clutch ? , if its got the conventional setup grab the release arm and pull it towards you (towards the radiator) you should hear the ratchet working.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

What oil did you top it up with?

They are finniky with the oil, only Total BEV (or equivalent - Comma make one) 75W80 is specified and anything else will ruin the cones.
john
My Cars:

Post by john »

spider wrote:Is it a pull / push clutch ? , if its got the conventional setup grab the release arm and pull it towards you (towards the radiator) you should hear the ratchet working.
im sure it is, i'll try tomorrow
myglaren wrote:What oil did you top it up with?

They are finniky with the oil, only Total BEV (or equivalent - Comma make one) 75W80 is specified and anything else will ruin the cones.
it had no oil when i got it but i put cit/pug spec oil in.
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar
john
My Cars:

Post by john »

ok, went to the car today (not my daily so is in my lockup), with the engine off is selects every gear nice and easily, but the clunking is getting louder, it appears to be coming from directly under the gearstick, if the engine is running its got to be forced into gear.

so im guessing a dragging clutch and the gear linkage?
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar
john
My Cars:

Post by john »

to update.

bought a valeo clutch and also needed a part of the gear linkage

removed the clutch and just look at this

not sure what would cause that but its all replaced and its a lovely gear change now, also sold it to my dad, sad to see her go :(
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

the clutch is pretty typical of a worn citroen clutch.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

What do you think causes the uneven finger wear, FC?