fix for the pass pipes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jimmy8467

fix for the pass pipes

Post by jimmy8467 »

I have a citroen c5 hdi 2004 2 liter and have a small leak on one of the pass pipes, under off side front of car runs along the back of the steering rack then up to where it fastens in with a bolt. i managed to get it up on ramps and have seen 2 metal pipes rubbing against each other, obviously has worn a small hole in one of them or both, as further up the pipe is dry on both. question is can i cut the bad bit out and piece it with a high preasure hose, the liquid is green and very runny not like ATF fluid i think its called LHM fluid. going to secure the high preasure hose with proper hose clips, is this ok or will i have to get a new part
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: fix for the pass pipes

Post by myglaren »

Have you checked the reservoir? A C5 should have orange LDS fluid, not LHM. This applies to the suspension and steering, shared reservoir, separate pumps.

Won't be brake fluid but could it be coolant, I have Green Citroen coolant in mine.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Does the AC still work? Sounds like it might be the AC pipes to me - the oil they use is sometimes green....
Richard W
jimmy8467

Post by jimmy8467 »

no definetly lhm fluid as its still got the cover on where the resivour is hidden under the cover what says hydralic fluid. the pass pipe is leaking on a bend in the steel pipe where it comes out of the steering rack, and the hydralic bottle is practerally empty, also wanted to know if this is under pressure and if it fails what will go first, the pass or my suspention as i want to get it to a garage asap, thanx for the replys
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I expect that the steering would fail first..
The suspension doesn't use much fluid once at operating height, it isn't circulated like the previous systems.
It is also possible that someone has put Comma LDS in there - which is green apparently, although there is speculation on it's suitability.
I had an MOT advisory on the PAS hoses leaking but they weren't, it was just a slight spillage of oil that had ended up there. Have you tried wiping the fluid off and seeing if it returns from the suspect area?

It is certainly worth investigating further before something does fail.