Xsara Picasso rusty corroded sills anti corrosion boast fail

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CGATCX25GTITURBO
Location: IN FRONT OF THE LAP TOP Residing in Hull, East Yorks
My Cars:

Xsara Picasso rusty corroded sills anti corrosion boast fail

Post by CGATCX25GTITURBO »

A recent episode regarding my 54 plate Citroen Xsara Picasso ownership has prompted me to write this and share my experience. It could be seen as scare mongering but that isn’t my aim. I merely wish to show how a polite, sympathetic yet hand tied representative of Citroen UK offered to help me following my discovery of corrosion within the sills of my car. Every case viewed by Citroen UK will be judged in its own merit so some maybe lucky.

To save you reading through all of this I can give you the bottom line now. I have to say Citroen UK are/were willing to make a good will gesture contribution despite me not having had the scheduled anti corrosion inspections carried out, and despite it being the wrong type of corrosion. It was the type of offer, however, that would leave most people in this situation smarting, as I would still be left with a £1200 bill to have the work done. Given the age of the car ETC I would guess most people, like myself couldn’t justify spending that much on it. The offer was probably made as Citroen knew I couldn’t/ wouldn’t pay this but they are still seen to be the good guys because they acknowledged there was an issue in my case and are prepared to do something.

There have been a few emails between myself and Citroen UKs customer service department but most of the communication has been done by phone. Probably a misunderstanding on my behalf was one of these conversations where I believed I had an option on the type of repair as long as it would be carried out by a Citroen dealer, I thought I had to ask the dealer for a quote where the corrosion would be cut out and repaired, rather than replacing the full sills, which the dealer quoted for. 15th March that was corrected.
Even though I offered to sign a disclaimer because my choice of repair couldn’t be guaranteed by Citroen (isn’t that what body shops do all day, replace and repair damaged panels) they wouldn’t be prepared contribute anything towards the repair so that door closed and I either pay £1200 or go away and sort my own repair. Below is my story.

My case was a long shot, as well as making Citroen UK aware of a potential corrosion issue I was hoping for some form of good will gesture too, which in these times of austerity, was indeed always going to be a long shot.

I've owned Citroens for a long time, my first car was a 1975 DS given to me by my Dad. I know the early cars suffered with corrosion (didn't most Marques of 70s and early 80s cars) but over time I've seen Citroen improve over the models I've owned from Series 1 and 2 CX, BX, AX, Xantia, XM, Xsara and Xsara Picasso. I still own a 1986 CX bought when it was 2 years old so around 25 years and I've just parted with a 1992 BX 19TGD I've owned for 9 years and it's still going strong 21 years on, replacing it with a 1998, that's a 15 year old Xantia 19TD with 8,500 miles on it. None of my Citroens bought prior to my Xsara Picasso prepared me for this shock after only five and a half years of ownership.

Jan 2007 I bought a 54 plate Xsara Picasso with just 12,000 miles under its belt from a Citroen Main agent. It had a price of 9k in the window, the car was for my, replacing our 1997 AX 1.5D (Being a long time Citroen owner and seeing as we would be keeping the car for a good many years) I asked at the time if it was possible to have inside the sills filled with Waxoyl 'not literally' and was told "these have a 12 year anti corrosion warranty, you won't need to, and if you did, that could be detrimental to the properties of the anti corrosion system in place" So who wouldn't be impressed with that, Citroen were confident enough in their product to offer 12 corrosion free years. I have to be open from the start here, I've omitted to have the four year and every following second year dealer inspections carried out, this isn't to say the car hasn't been looked after, it lives outside and has been regularly washed ETC, checking the sill drain holes are clear and the underseal is intact. One reason I bought a newer car spending what to me was a lot of money, was to avoid this type of issue, being able to stay on top of the cars condition is half the battle.

I never thought there was (or would be) any cause for concern with rot, until last year during a conversation with a colleague. Their Picasso failed its MOT test due to corrosion, another colleague said theirs had to be welded in same area too, the sill panel under the front doors. I had a look at mine, there were no visible signs of a problem, the body protection ' factory underseal' was intact and there were no external signs of rust staining. All looked well until I tapped the panels and the area seemed thin and I could hear loose material bouncing around in the sill cavity.

Speaking to the dealer that sold the car to me, they said (standing by the terms of the warranty) I needed to have had an inspection at four years and every two years after that to qualify for the 12 year anti perforation, anti corrosion warranty. Ok I had to accept that part, the thing that unsettled me was how many of these (not particularly old and many the choice of taxi ranks and school run Mums) vehicles are rusting out in the same area, going by unnoticed, vehicles like mine could pass an MOT and be on the road, with a potentially dangerous fault.

Contacting Citroen UKs customer service, the original reply was the scripted" sorry inspections not done so we won't recognise the claim", I repeated my concern to them and said I would have one of their (main agent) dealers, carry out a corrosion inspection as if it was in line with inspection schedule and report back the findings, the inspection was done, and guess what? Nothing was seen to cause concern, so even if these routine inspections were carried out, no fault would have been found until some date well in the future, no doubt when the corrosion ruptured the body seal.

I showed the dealer my reason for thinking there was an unseen problem, they were surprised as modern Citroen cars don't suffer from corrosion, and do they? From there the dealer and I went back to Citroen UK with the findings. Citroen UK customer services said if I paid to have underseal removed to see what lies beneath they would re examine my situation.

Two weeks ago this was carried out and on 22nd FEB 2013 I was told by Citroen UK they wouldn't be doing anything to help me. Two reasons, I hadn't had the scheduled inspections done (these would have been worthless anyways) and the warranty is against perforation from the inside out, this is what I thought was wrong with mine yet I'm told by a Citroen customer care manager:-

'The warranty department has reviewed the pictures and there conclusion is that even if there was no damage to the sill, the tiniest of imperceptible of the paint surface could allow moisture to penetrate within the sill. From the evidence that has been presented it shows the corrosion is not caused by inside - outwards.'

Looking at this from the, 'I'm up to date with my scheduled inspection' scenario one would think all would be well, Citroen UKs reply shows they may still not do anything.

I have attached a few pictures I've been sent by the dealer, they have the ones of the car before the underseal was removed and there wasn't any rust staining at all underneath the car.
The corrosion has to be from the inside out, despite the corrosion being hidden by the seemingly ‘intact’ underseal, it isn't corroding from inside out, they're saying it has rusted between the underseal and the metal and that isn't the same.
From the off it appears, the materials used as protection in that area, wouldn't be up to the job and were destined to fail.

The corrosion is between the sill and the underseal ( the underseal that hides this very well, no external signs under visible inspection) and not from the inside of the sill, yet it has a hole in both sills with no evidence of rust staining on the outside of the underseal. This hasn't happened overnight and has been quietly rusting undetected for a few years now; maybe a few of the last ones are just starting, so nowhere near the 12 years that Citroen boast.

There could be many other cars out there in this condition unbeknown to their owners and my bringing this to light, could devalue cars and leave them on trade forecourts longer but I'd rather people be physically safe than sorry and at least know there could be a hidden problem, maybe dealers will check them out before selling them on so they aren't selling an un roadworthy vehicle.

I have visited (today Saturday 23rd Feb 2103) four local used car dealers. Three of those had Xsara Picassos with a similar condition to my car before the underseal was stripped and a forth dealer had two with the same defect and a third car not on sale. On that one the front of the sills looked like the bulbous bow of a ship. I managed to get a picture of one of the cars but I didn't want raise attention to what I was doing, I don't think the traders would be too pleased as generally the Picasso has been and is a good selling car. Why are so many cars failing in this area if it isn't a design, material choice or manufacturing fault?

This one has a small blister on it, the rest of the sill is crunchy, there is no rust staining on it so it appears, to the eye to be sealed to the outside world. The camera didn't pick up the other examples but the sills were softer to the touch.

This isn't through bitterness, I still like the cars, I just question, the warranty and the marketing hype... how can Citroen boast their cars will get to 12 years without the worry of perforation corrosion, it’s still happening. I and other owners of Xsara Picassos will continue sufferance of perforation corrosion it's just not the version Citroen accept.

How many people out there, unlike me have paid for the inspections and will be told sorry, it's the wrong type of corrosion. At least Citroen UK are aware of this now and others enquiring will get a faster response. Money will continue to be paid for inspections, the cars will continue to corrode but maybe it's the 'wrong type of corrosion' to be covered by the warranty. In my case the money I didn't spend on the inspections, can be put to the cars repair that in Citroens boast, I shouldn't have been facing for another four years at least.

It may be worth owners removing and re placing the underseal on their cars for peace of mind if nothing else. This may save someone the trouble of replacing the sill or patching up their car instead. Maybe a service bulletin will go out and save others some heartache.

I asked a couple of questions that haven’t been answered

Would you know how many claims have been made by Citroen Xsara Picasso owners against Citroen UKs 12 year anti corrosion warranty?

Would you know if any Citroen Xsara Picasso owners have successfully had repair work done under the Citroen UK 12 year anti corrosion warranty? Hopefully you shouldn't get many yes answers because the product doesn't corrode inside this time period, does it?

I still love my current Citroens but I will think twice about buying such a young or even a new one again.
Last edited by CGATCX25GTITURBO on 16 Mar 2013, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.
Neil aka CGAT
1986 CX25 GTI TURBO 1 SERIES 2 'CGAT'
1998 XANTIA 19TD ESTATE
1987 BX19 GTI 8V
2012 Citroen DS3
1997 600 Bandit
2000 ZX12R from new
1989 CX GTI Turbo 62k miles in a barn since 2001, project started 2023.
Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Re: Xsara Picasso rusty corroded in sills anti corrosion boa

Post by Citroening »

Very interesting post Neil, thanks for taking the time to type it up... Make a nice little thing for the Citroenian too I reckon...

That is interesting, and just the other day I was joking "how long before we'll be welding plates in the C4!"'

Makes you think though... My C4 is coming up for 3 year old now and all looked good on the ramp at MOT - I look forward to seeing how it keeps...
Franklin
CGATCX25GTITURBO
My Cars:

The thing is... I can weld the thing up myself, it won't have the Citroen finish and I want it to be right really, I can't express my real feelings on here but there have been a few blue words shouted when in Private I suppose I have Citourettes @.#!

It would be interesting do do a poll I suppose to see how bad the situation is out there, might not be good for many owners, some may accept this as they're an old car. I have my reasons for being a little miffed, mainly how much I paid for the 'nice' car and how it's been the worst one for a modern car body wise, NEVER did I expect this.. just unlucky, it will be repaired as it's been a great car otherwise, except for the flywheel and new turbo at 12,500 miles on and... maybe not such a good one :) no really it has been great. but I will be sticking to my Xantia type cars in the future, I have also shared this with Auto Express so we'll see if they have anything to say too...
Neil aka CGAT
1998 XANTIA 19TD ESTATE
1987 BX19 GTI 8V
2012 Citroen DS3
1997 600 Bandit
2000 ZX12R from new
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gosh. Now that's quite shocking...

Exactly the same problem occurred in Xantia estates and also I would think, is a common reason for XM sills going...

I've seen several Xantia estates with big bubbles in the sill coating and when pricked are full of water with rust underneath..

The coating must be porous.

Best advice is to get the old sill coating off, de-rust and repaint with decent stuff..

And then fill the sills with cavity wax.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Is that cavity wax similar to what cheap dentists use?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Is that cavity wax similar to what cheap dentists use?
No, it looks more like ear wax!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

my friends 03 Xsara pisssscasssoooo has sever corrosion on of both door sills,

i belive the sills must become water logged then rust through from the inside outwards
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
CGATCX25GTITURBO
My Cars:

One thing I noticed from collecting the car, the windows always mist up. I mentioned this and was told it's what Picassos do, just run the the AC and it will be fine, and it was. That moisture has to go somewhere, my sills drains are kept clear.

My point here is there will be many, like the ones I found, my neighbours 55 plate is showing the signs, tap the sills of ones that don't look suspect. Mine looked perfect.
Neil aka CGAT
1998 XANTIA 19TD ESTATE
1987 BX19 GTI 8V
2012 Citroen DS3
1997 600 Bandit
2000 ZX12R from new
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I'm sure it's inside to outside, and is a common Picasso problem. By the time I realised ours was bad on the NS I knocked a hole in it about 3" wide and best part of a foot long - the underseal was detached all the way to the B post, and the bottom of the sill was thin all the way along. It was only 7 years old :shock: OS showed no signs at all. I just got a plate welded over the op of it and undersealed - not pretty, but 'cost effective'!!
Richard W
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

I have welded up quite a few Picasso,s with this problem, it is certainly from the inside out, and you can spot the ones with the issues easily , by looking for bubbles in the stone chip material. I have done a few reasonably late cars, its a real shame because otherwise Picassos are very reliable cars .
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

Her Ladyship has a 2004 Hdi. We've had it nearly two years. I'd heard the stories of the sills rotting from the inside, so one of the first things I did was drill a small hole in the front of each sill. They are still in good nick with no rust.
CGATCX25GTITURBO
My Cars:

I'm suprised there isn't a public outcry over this, these cars should be lasting 12 years according to the marketing. There have been millions sold and there must be many out there that have suffered and many still undiscovered. I may have to throw watchdog a bone. Mine didn't have the blisters when I found there was a problem, thats why I had a dealer look at it to do the inspection so Citroen didn't have to take my word for it, the sills just felt thin. I would like to know though if any have been repaired under warranty or if Citroen have been dismissing it as the wrong corrosion like they told me, I can't be the only one that has challenged them. The dealership I used hadn't seen another one before mine. That could be true as many wouldn't take their older car to a main agent for servicing ETC. You would think there would be something in EU law that would prevent Citroen bragging about how long the cars shell will last before rust sets in as it isn't true in my experience and no inspection up to date would have revealed the problem, may be a bulletin will go out and the inpections will be a little more searching/ intrusive.

It also passed it's MOT while like this, it wasn't until I really really looked for it, I found it, It would be interesting to see if drilling holes has really helped yours, my drain holes were clear.

I agree Mark this has been great to own it has proved to be very reliable
Neil aka CGAT
1998 XANTIA 19TD ESTATE
1987 BX19 GTI 8V
2012 Citroen DS3
1997 600 Bandit
2000 ZX12R from new
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it will only fail the MOT if it is within 30cm of seat/belts or suspension mounts,
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
CGATCX25GTITURBO
My Cars:

citronut wrote:it will only fail the MOT if it is within 30cm of seat/belts or suspension mounts,
Really... I never knew that :) J/K My point is there were no observations / advisories reported of any issues with the condition of the sills. Nothing to alert anyone there was a hidden problem.

I have been using the same place for 30 years and they point out everything... Thats why I use them.
Neil aka CGAT
1998 XANTIA 19TD ESTATE
1987 BX19 GTI 8V
2012 Citroen DS3
1997 600 Bandit
2000 ZX12R from new
CGATCX25GTITURBO
My Cars:

citronut wrote:it can be put down as an advisory only
I have got half a clue with MOTs :)
Neil aka CGAT
1998 XANTIA 19TD ESTATE
1987 BX19 GTI 8V
2012 Citroen DS3
1997 600 Bandit
2000 ZX12R from new