Faults / Issues Lexia found - Advice wanted please.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MaxPrimal

Faults / Issues Lexia found - Advice wanted please.

Post by MaxPrimal »

Hi guys,

I had my car in my local garage to have the very helpful "Anti Pollution" fault remedied again. Last time it was the knock sensor this time it was a little different. The invoice gave te following information and I want to check if anything sounds like something I need to worry about....

Diagnostic Test: Faults found: U1209 Gearbox Control Unit, P0410 Secondary Unit
Check Secondary Air Valve - No Power Supply
Check connector and wiring
Check all fuseds for circuit - blown 30a fuse - replace fuse
Retest - all ok

The two codes at the top make me wonder if I need to ask for more information or if they could be something and nothing and simply down to this fuse (which ever one it was) having gone. The fault came on as was slowing on a motorway slip road which meets at a roundabout, I was doing 5-10mph I would guess and the car was not ready/had not done a shift down at the time the fault came on.

Any thoughts are welcomed. The car is likely to go back in for a gear box oil change in April while I am off for a week at the end of Easter due to half term, so if there is something else to look at that seems the best time.

Thanks
Max
2008 RENAULT LAGUNA 3 EXPRESSION DCI 130 - Satnav, Bluetooth and more...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Faults / Issues Lexia found - Advice wanted please.

Post by Mandrake »

Model of car, engine and gearbox ??
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Simon, It's an AL4...

Max, the gearbox faults are a bit general and it's hard to make anything of them..

A Google of U1209 suggests a comms fault with the gearbox ECU but Google is very vague even on that :(

P0410 refers to faults on the AIR system (a hideous Yankee emissions control bodge used on Mazda RX-8s and others to post burn HCs and oil in the exhaust ahead of the cat to reduce emissions). I doubt your machine has such a system and this lead us nicely to the terms 'secondary air valve' which will apply to the AIR system. Those faults may well be red herrings.

This system may be mistakenly activated in the BSI. That's just a guess and I know little about cleverness like the BSI.

I think you can disregard them and they'll have no effect on the gearbox..

I'm wondering if the gearbox ECU needs a reset of some sort to restore comms. It's not gone to third emergency has it?

Can diagnostics read the gearbox ECU directly and get more information?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MaxPrimal

Post by MaxPrimal »

The car is a 2002 C5 Exclusive 16v 2.0 litre Automatic. - as Jim says it is an AL4 gearbox.

The car is running fine bar the slightly heavy down shifts at time to me. There is no power loss that I have noticed and the box does not short or long shift.

I can always ask the garage to get the ECU reset/read next month if needs, I would rather point them at things than have them "look" and cost me more money :)

Thanks
Max
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

MaxPrimal wrote:The car is a 2002 C5 Exclusive 16v 2.0 litre Automatic. - as Jim says it is an AL4 gearbox.
Might be worth putting that in your signature over here :)

Also if you have a laptop have you considered getting a Lexia yourself, then you don't need to worry about asking the Garage to read it each time, and you can check/clear/recheck as much as you like :)
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

If the fuse has blown for the seconary air pump then i would bet it will blow again in the near future, they are quite common to get moisture in them so it may be partially siezed. The pump should only run for around a minute on initial cold start up.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Well there, I'm indebted to you Wheeler for confirming the car does have an AIR system and the problem with it. I'm staggered that it does though... I thought the AIR system had been consigned to the annals of history long ago...

One lives and learns...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MaxPrimal

Post by MaxPrimal »

Thanks for the heads up on all this : Ben - I do have a laptop but I cannot really warrant the expense of a lexia. I would probably get it and use it once - that said if I don't get it I sods law says I will need it on a monthly basis... Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't :(

I was playing with the car today while driving, using the manual semi-auto mode. I noticed if I shifted down before the car wanted to it was near perfectly smooth - WAY better than normal when I let the car handle it. Downside is that I sometimes forget to shift up when accelerating thinking it is in auto mode. Numpty!

I will see how the car goes. I will look to get the gearbox oil changed and see what (if any difference) it makes. I need to do some other bits on it so money is better spent elsewhere on the car replacing/fixing dented / cracked body work.

Thanks again guys.

Max