DW8 timing need advice

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sean602
Location: Roslin -yes the one with the chapel in Dan Browns book.
My Cars:

DW8 timing need advice

Post by Sean602 »

been called in to help out a friend.
OK its a Dispatch with a fiat badge 1.9 non turbo

Timing belt went, took out cam and worse 2 of the camshaft caps so got a recon head fitted by someone who promptly lost intrest and left engine assembled but not running, Friend was positive that the other guy did it all ok other guy wanted to fire the engine before filling fluids " just to make sure its OK".

When i got called in I told friend to drop the oil fit new filter fill with coolant and ill come over for the start up. engine turned over ok on the pulley no contact so went to fire it up - rough as missing on one cylinder clouds of white unburnt diesel . I hadnt checked what injectors were in the new head so knowing it ran OK on last ones swapped them over for the old ones. ( there had also been an issue with them "taking the new injectors out their housings"!) didnt know if they were Bosch, lucas or delphi so guessed safer to put on the injectors that were matched to the Lucas pump and hadnt been split and kicked around the garage

so left with a long list of things to do - fit the old injectors back in the new head do up all the leaking injector pipes etc

So today i went round and did the timing again this time pegging the engine up ( had relied on paint marks before) turned it over by hand and checked the timing which had moved again .
Phoned My good mate who runs harpers in Glasgow ( I help out there sometimes) he double checked id pegged it properly, turned the tensioner the right way etc- he has said to get a new crank pinion. Now altho there is about 2.5 -3mm clearance on the woodruff key there appears to be no sign of fretting to the keyway on the pinion so doesnt look worn to me( this was a big problem on 1.9 VW engines except the wear was always on the actual crank nose Ive welded and re cut the crank in situ a few times).

Is this right does the key hold the timing pulley or is it held by the clamping of the big aux belt pulley? the back of the pulley has fretting to its face where it been rubbing on the teeth of the pinion.
As the head and its pulley wasnt matched to the bottom half I had slackened the 3 cam pulley bolts to get it all spot on.
I was happy with it all but doesnt the timing move when I take the pulley bolt out to re fit the covers and Aux belt pulley? or do i just peg it all back up to put covers and pulley back?

as ive said im quite Ok doing this sort of stuff just having a bit of a "Hmm I wonder" as we wait for the new pinion to appear at Citroen Edinburgh.
Views of people who have done this sort of thing regularly or for a living
Thanks Sean
kissing the lash
white van (turbo, computer and built by Citroen, what could possibly go wrong!)
orange 2cv
blue 2cv( been to the Sahara and back)
red Dyane( in bits)
Skoda (thank goodness there is a teutonic vehicle on the drive)
Stainless Siemens fridge freezer
citronut
My Cars:

Re: DW8 timing need advice

Post by citronut »

with the belt tensioned up the woodruff key should sit in the center of the slot in the crank sprocket, the extra wide slot in the sprocket is correct/normal,
the sprocket is clamped with the crank pulley being tightened up
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Sean602
My Cars:

Post by Sean602 »

Thanks Malcolm, that's what i thought, it was the advice "get a new one" that got me questioning myself oh well £30 aint too much of a hit.

UPDATE
Well seems Ronnie and Malcolm both right. original pinion wide keyway presumably to make assembly easier. Replacement comes with a tight keyway presumably stopping dullards like us messing up the engine - photos uploaded later.
kissing the lash
orange 2cv
red Dyane( in bits)
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Good work chap. I've heard good things about Harpers, if I were to go to a garage I'd give them a go!
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
Sean602
My Cars:

Post by Sean602 »

original bronze coloured Pinion, and new silver coloured part No 0513 A2
DSC00490 by Sean602, on Flickr
in situ
DSC00491 by Sean602, on Flickr

still runs like a bag of spanners and lays down a smokescreen a Centurion tank would be happy with
had to put the injector back in its original housing but due to the injectors being split they are leaking from the injector body - no amount of cleaning and re assembly seems to work so the original re build has buggered the injectors and the nugget that it was "missing" before the belt went confirms that a replacement set of injectors will be next oh and reconnecting the EGR circuit that was deemed unnecessary and disconnected.
kissing the lash
orange 2cv
red Dyane( in bits)