Xantia- steering problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lazza
My Cars:

Xantia- steering problem

Post by lazza »

HI Forum

So much time away from the Forum, and it's all changed! Well it's good to be back.

Just changed the rear spheres again, lasted 4 years the last ones, not bad I suppose.

I have a slight problem with the steering. When going slowly and i turn the steering wheel to the right i hear a knocking, clunking noise. If i'm going over a bump at the same time, i can feel/hear the knocking even more. I've been told here that it could be the left hand draft shaft??

Apart from that the steering seems to work fine.

Could anyone suggest what it could be?

Cheers
Larry
(1996 Citroen Xantia 1.9TD LX with aircon)
Living in exile in Spain
Running on 100% veggie in summer
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Xantia- steering problem

Post by Peter.N. »

Drive shaft CV joint I expect, sounds like the symptoms.

Peter
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Also check the wheel nuts are tight! Mine were left loose by a garage and when they worked their way further loose the first sign of trouble was a clicking noise when turning...

Testing for a dud CV joint is very easy - just put the car on full lock and accelerate from a standstill, a bad CV joint will go clickety clickety in a very obvious way. The tighter you turn the worse the noise will be.

If it still happens with fairly small steering wheel angles its unlikely to be the CV joint, also if it only happens when you turn to one side and not the other its unlikely to be the CV joint as a CV joint will click when turned either way. (Although slightly more when its on the inside of the corner as it turns slightly sharper on the inside of the corner)

Other possibilities if it only happens when steering to one side are wheel bearing or something rubbing on the wheel rim like a ball joint shield, hand brake cable etc.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
ecohouse1
My Cars: Rover 75 CDT TourerAuto , , Mercedes 190E 1.8 1993, 2CV6 Special 1987, Peugeot 206 1.1 2001. Repairs and maintenance of two Hyundai i10s
Deceased
Xantia TD Estate 1999 (now with Chris Morewood)
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Post by ecohouse1 »

Is a rythmic knock in time with the driven wheel rotation? Does it stop when you press the brakes gently? If it does its something to do with the pads /disc.

I had a knock coming through the steering on bends - most noticable on the N/S and it was a loose ball joint (very worn!) rattles every time I go over a rough road surface while turning! It wasn't a rythmic knock in time with the wheel rotation though.
lazza
My Cars:

Post by lazza »

HI All

Well i got he steerring looked at in the Peugeot garage and they said they couldnt see anything serious.

Since then the noise has continued whilst turning to the right slowly.... it's actually more of a creak noise that's intermittent.. creak, creak, creak

Are there any more ideas on what it could be?

cheers
Larry
(1996 Citroen Xantia 1.9TD LX with aircon)
Living in exile in Spain
Running on 100% veggie in summer