Help c5 losing power

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fezgsx@aol.com
New User

Help c5 losing power

Post by fezgsx@aol.com »

Hi to all, I'm new to the forum hope someone can help. My 2001 c5 2.2hdi has developed a strange loss of power. It starts ok ticks over ok no strange noises no dash warnings etc but from second gear up it struggles to rev past 2k, 1st gear it revs and pulls like a train as it should. If I back off the throttle it will slowly build revs but feels a bit like a on off switch is being flicked on and off. Its a pain driving below 2k where it feels happy, i suspect a sensor or something as my logic makes me think if it was mechanical it would do the same in first gear. Any advise would be greatly appreciated, also is there a cable available to buy to connect to a laptop using correct software to self diagnose such problems. Other than that I love this car..........
Frustrated....... Pete........ :(
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Re: Help c5 losing power

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Hi fezgsx,
Yes there is kit available to read the engine codes etc, the most useful is Lexia but this is actually a hardware box that connects to the glove box OBD port and usb to the laptop running the Lexia prog. Give Lexia a search on the forum. Might need to find someone nearby. "Swirl valves" is also worth a look-up - not operating they either slow the engine from revving or provide no low down go depending on where they're stuck. Not usually the on/off symptom though???
Anybody got any ideas on the mechanical thoughts?
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
StevieOMG
My Cars:

Post by StevieOMG »

Might also want to check your mass air flow. Had exactly the same issue on my 2.0hdi. A quick blast of cleaner and it was back to normal.
fezgsx@aol.com
New User

Post by fezgsx@aol.com »

Cheers, after reading through some other posts i also think it could be the MAF, What are these galletto cables I keep reading about are they any good for my car?. A mate said to try disconnecting the battery for a while so I did this today It ran ok for about 5 miles then started again. Which make me convinced in my limited knowledge there is an electrical fault ie sensor somewhere to blame.
Thanks for the replies they are most welcome, its doing my head in now but I dont want to just throw money at it without a correct diagnosis if I can help it, I'm in Sunderland if anyone nearby has a lexia as Monkeyfeet suggests

Cheers........