Xantia "remote" centrol locking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Karl

Xantia "remote" centrol locking

Post by Karl »

I`m getting tried of the "remote" centrol locking of my Xantia, who`s idea was it to used infra red[:(!][:(!][:(!] My 12 year old television remote has a better range than my Citroen remote.
Anyone get the same problem or have a solution?
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Have you tried new batterys? Both of my Xantias have a range of around 4 metres, any further and the signal could be 'picked up' by a thief's scanner.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

I always thought the range on my plip was rubbish, then it broke completely so I bought a new one. The range on the new one was amazing, it would work anything up to 10m away at certain angles.
The range is down to about 4 now after 4 months, so I guess that new batteries substantially increase the range.
Jez

Post by Jez »

I own a Xantia and a ZX and the remote's are very poor - new batteries don't do the trick. Stick to doing it manually.
Karl

Post by Karl »

4 meters...I can`t even get that! I think the problem is the that the location of the receiver means that it won`t bip if you are in front of the car even at 1 meter away, only if you stand next to the door or behind. I`ll give a fresh set of batteries a try to see if it makes any difference.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

The reciever is made up of 3 sensors, one pointing to each side and one to the rear. That is why it does not work from the front.
Having had 2 of these (on a BX and a Xantia) my tip is to remember where the reciever is (i.e. in the roof panel near the rear view mirror) and aim the plip accordingly. Keeping it low can help but obviously it has to be firing through glass.
The system may not be perfect but it is much better than the IR plip on the Mondeo. The reciever for that was next to the drivers door lock and on the one I drove the plip had to be within 6 inches to work.
It is also better than the RF plips Peugot were using at the same time which regularly got their nickers in a twist and had to be reset.