Xantia 1.9 throttle cable ends

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Xantia 1.9 throttle cable ends

Post by Old-Guy »

Basic question: "Does the pedal end have a nasty plastic clip?"

When re-fitting the last bits and pieces to the engine after changing the head-gasket, I snagged a glove on a broken strand on the throttle cable. This is a stuck throttle waiting to happen.

GSF can only supply a kit (Italian); 'kit' being the operative word - a bag of bits with an instruction sheet with 16 different diagrams covering 16 different kits for umpteen different PSA models. The makers logo is more prominent than the poorly drawn and printed diagrams. What few words )or abbrieviations are in Italian - one I've worked out as 'bared steel'. All in all a frustrating puzzle (IKEA furniture is a doddle by comparison).

I can't recommend this kit, which isn't even well made. I'm treating it as a temporary fix until I can find something better (which means having a trustworthy car) and have done the front strut mounts.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: Xantia 1.9 throttle cable ends

Post by Xaccers »

Kit sounds identical to the PSA bag of IKEA left covers!

The pedal does have a plastic clip but it isn't horrible, it's a godsend.
Get some small long nose pliers to compress the tangs and pop it out of the pedal.
Measure the metal blob on the end of the cable and head to your local cycle shop to buy a gear selector cable with the same size blob.
Prise the old cable out of the clip and pull the old cable out through the foot well.
Press the new blob into the clip and feed the cable through the hole in the foot well.
Push the clip back into the pedal.
Get someone to bury the pedal into the floor with their foot, or a heavy object.
Swing the arm on the pump to the right as far as it will go, secure the end of the cable in the arm and tie off any excess, or if you still have the cylindrical clamp put the clamp on the cable slightly further up than is needed and trim the excess so when the clamp is in the right place it will fit in the arm.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom

Post by Old-Guy »

The story gets worse. This morning (Sunday) I laid all the cables out on the kitchen floor (unlike the workshop, it's free of dust and grit!) alongside a tape measure. Long story short: this kit made by Telco is a mongrel: 406 cable components (inner is 33mm too short) with one or two Xantia fittings added - I eventually worked this out from the 'universal' sheet of instructions in the bag and the component dimensions as measured.

Under "Air Supply"(!) GSF list 712PC0030 Accelerator Cable Kit length 2710 for both Xantia 1.9TD and Peugeot 406 1.9TD. It would be suitable for both if it contained the longer Xantia inner with the 406 outers (which are longer than the Xantia's). But then customers would be left with the tricky job of neatly cutting either inner or outers. Fairly easy, IF you've got something like Dremel rotary tool; otherwise not.

The quality of the kit leaves a lot to be desired: the steel outer sheath has been crudely hacked off, leaving a vicious protruding hook at one end. The other end is rough, not square, and going rusty. In future, I shall avoid Telco products.

The kit is going back (mis-labelled kit) in the morning for a refund and I'll follow Xac's suggestion to try the local bike shop (we have a good one catering for mountain biking visitors) for a bespoke new inner.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

It's quite a small blob on the end. The gear cable is much cheaper too at only a few quid!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool