Xantia acceleration noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Danbuoy

Xantia acceleration noise

Post by Danbuoy »

Hi, noticed yesterday that my 2000 Xantia HDI is making a "rushing" or "roaring" sort of noise when I accelerate. The harder I accelerate, the louder the noise. It definitely seems to be coming from the left rear, so I'm thinking it is exhaust related. Driving along at 40, there is no sound. At 60, it can be heard slightly, but seems to fade away. Everything else is fine, the car is still performing as normal and there are no lights on the dashboard. Any ideas??
Current car: Mar 13 to present: 58 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+
Past cars: Sept 05 - Mar 13: X reg Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi LX - 160k and still apparently going strong!
Sept 03 - Sept 05: N reg Citroen ZX diesel RIP (died on A50 after an altercation with a Merc)
Johnny Cogs
My Cars:

Re: Xantia acceleration noise

Post by Johnny Cogs »

Hey There. If it was exhaust related chances are you could replicate the noise without actually moving the car. Can you make the noise appear whilst at standstill?

Also, have you eliminated the possability of bearing noise yet?
'rolls in a 1.9TD Syn-bus!'
Danbuoy

Post by Danbuoy »

I haven't tried replicating the noise whilst at a standstill, but I reckon I could. It shouldn't be a bearing as I had both left ones replaced last year. There's no vibration or anything like that, just this odd noise.
Current car: Mar 13 to present: 58 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+
Past cars: Sept 05 - Mar 13: X reg Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi LX - 160k and still apparently going strong!
Sept 03 - Sept 05: N reg Citroen ZX diesel RIP (died on A50 after an altercation with a Merc)
Johnny Cogs
My Cars:

Post by Johnny Cogs »

Might it be the baffles gone in the bax box? Give it a shake and see if theres any untoward noises?
'rolls in a 1.9TD Syn-bus!'