more clonks - front this time

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rod_f

more clonks - front this time

Post by rod_f »

the front drivers side wheel makes a rattle/clonk when you go over bumps or holes
if you grip the wheel you can rotate it (clockwise/anticlockwise ) back & forth a little accompanied by the rattle - a taking up play sort of noise
also if you grip the wheel at 10 and 2 and push backwards & forwards you can twist the wheel a little - same noise
the steering ball joint seems the only obvious worn component but it's difficult to tell once you've got the wheel off
question - shouldn't the rest of the suspension stop the wheel flexing regardless of the state of the track rod end ?
the gaiter at the wheel end of the driveshaft is oozing grease due to a loose fit but it doesn't seem to let dirt back in
now I guess the last statement makes you suspect the driveshaft but on full lock there's no knocking noise which I have had before with the driveshafts on a 205
the odd vertical link thing seems secure
any ideas
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I'm not familiar with the front suspension on a ZX, but when we had a similar noise on one of our 205's that turned out to be the lower suspension arm ball joint. Jack up the front wheel and lever with a long bar under the wheel. Watch for movement in the ball joint.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

I would also suspect the ball joint. My father had a couple of diesel ZX's and it seemed to me that we needed to change at least one of the lower ball joints after every MOT . . .
//NiSk
rod_f

Post by rod_f »

lifted wheel and tried levering it - whole suspension lifted vertically with no discernible play in lower balljoint - hmm
mind you track rod end very knackered so down to local motor factors & they had it on the shelf
fitted it with a remarkable lack of trouble
noise over bumps is much less however the play is still there
I'm suspicious of the driveshaft universal joint but we'll see - might end up at the local garage due to a lack of my time
rod_f

Post by rod_f »

tightened strut top retaining nut with torque wrench - a bit slack
the play has gone from the backwards & forwards test but is still there when you rotate the wheel
if anyone in the Aldershot area noticed a man aiming his car at every sunken manhole it was me
the bloody noise is still there, quieter than when I started, but still there.
on reflection the bottom ball joint, as suggested, should be where to continue my endeavours
puddle jumper
My Cars:

Post by puddle jumper »

I don't know if your zx has a front anti roll bar but on my Xantia both my drop arm bottom ball joints where they attach to the anti roll bar are well worn I am 99% sure that they are the cause of my knocking and banging on rough road surfaces - Have just come back from France where they have proper road surfaces it was like a magic carpet ride no noise at all.
dallo45

Post by dallo45 »

hi this may or may not be relevant to zx's but may apply to many citroens i have a 94 xantia which developed a rattling sound when labouring or on rough roads around the nearside wheel area it passed the mot ok and i asked the garage to take it for a test drive even before he said its probably the diff he tok it for a test and also put it on ramps and told me thediff rattles about on crown wheel he said he had replaced one for a taxi driver who was back within a short time with same problem so said it is just something you can put up with no danger or keep replacing
rod_f

Post by rod_f »

Fixed It
Replaced the lower balljoint which was a little old but not completely knackered
While I was lying on the deck I noticed the small bolt on the lower suspension arm was undoing itself - a couple of millimetres of thread showing and finger loose - torqued it up & <b>finally</b> no more clunking.
Can I say that whoever put 3 Torx head bolts (which are of course round) on the balljoint mounting (pointing up underneath the hub & driveshaft) is off my christmas card list. If this is standard Citroen policy they are, frankly, insane.
The QH replacement balljoint came with hex-head nuts & bolts - nice to have them included.
Didn't do any harm replacing the balljoint, steering rod end was definitely knackered but I still wish I'd seen the loose bolt a bit earlier.