1.9TD Syn-Bus (synergie) still runs rich....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Johnny Cogs
My Cars:

1.9TD Syn-Bus (synergie) still runs rich....

Post by Johnny Cogs »

Howdy Peeps :)

Having not so long ago succesfully fitted new glow plugs http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=43434" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I have now had a chance to let the tank full of dinosaur juice and redex work its way through the system a bit. The bus starts brilliantly still, on the absolute flick of the key, but a couple of things are making themselves known...

Firstly, I put £60 of Shells finest in before I changed the plugs... 200+ miles covered and the guage is still hovering around the half tank mark..... I think Im sensing an iffy guage here?

Secondly.... when its cold there's still unburnt fuel passing through the system, thus making the bus a little smokey when idling or when hoofing the boot down, as it were...

The bus idles at 1000rpm, which is no doubt way too high, and the pump, although quieter, is still a bit 'rattly'...

Can anyone see anything familier here that they could suggest a fix for at all? perhaps a 'kick it' or similar?

Many thanks in advance...

JC :peaceman:
'rolls in a 1.9TD Syn-bus!'
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: 1.9TD Syn-Bus (synergie) still runs rich....

Post by evilally »

If it's starting well in this weather then that suggests compression is ok. Have you checked the air filter? How many miles is on it? Possibly injectors could do with a de-coke?
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
Johnny Cogs
My Cars:

Post by Johnny Cogs »

Hey Ally. Sorry, I should have mentioned I added a brand new air filter when I changed the plugs. Its done 180'000 miles so far... Is there something stronger than Redex I could use on my next tankfull that ight help, or is it an injectors out job?

Many Thanks...

JC
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Personally I'm sceptical of how effective things like redex etc are. At 180k I would expect the injectors are well past their best. You might want to do a DIY refurb, have a read here:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =2&t=43621" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's fairly easy to remove the injectors, but replacing the little washers left in the socket can be the hard part :evil:

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
Johnny Cogs
My Cars:

Post by Johnny Cogs »

Crikey O'Riley! I was thinking the timing might be out or wee adjuster screw on the pump! I'm guessin new injectors might be quite pricey then? (Nice Guide by the way =) )
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Timing wise, I would imagine the engine wouldn't be running particularly great even if it were out by only a little. I would expect a compression issue to cause hard starting and bad running. You have a clean filter. Lack of boost can cause smoke but not on idle as there is no boost anyway. A coked injector atomises fuel poorly and causes inefficient combustion. My injectors in the link above were on 185k so yours will be in a similar condition I would have thought. No way on God's Green Earth is a little bottle of Redex going to shift that lot. The above procedure only cost me £5 or £6 for new washers, otherwise just my time. You might be able to achieve the same by soaking the parts in some brake cleaner overnight and cleaning gently with a toothbrush. The only other suggestion I could make is maybe an EGR problem?

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

what is the condition of the injector leak off pipes,

re/con injectors used to be around the £100 quid mark each
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Johnny Cogs
My Cars:

Post by Johnny Cogs »

citronut wrote:what is the condition of the injector leak off pipes,

re/con injectors used to be around the £100 quid mark each
Whoaw! £100 each? eek.... I'm thinking, even if its just for fun, I might try n pick up some injectors from a scrapper then do the cleanup procedure at my leisure. Thus keeping the bus on the road.

The leak off pipes are good n soft. I think they were changed relatively recently, but if I do the injectors I will replace all the pipes with new, decent quality stuff....

I'm hoping to haul this bus up to 250'000 miles, so dont mind putting in to it a bit, as long as its on the road, as its the family daily by day and the JuiceBox Amps Syn-Bus by night!!!

With regards to the EGR are they cleanable the same way the Vauxhall ones are, in a tub of petrol or diesel overnight then a good rinse through?
Johnny Cogs
My Cars:

Post by Johnny Cogs »

Another one I didnt close off, apologies....

Turns out a work colleague of mine spent most of his days working at Lucas. He and a fellow diesel enthusiast had a look at the bus one lunch time...

They were impressed with how the ol Syn Bus started on the turn of the key ( :D )
Said the idle wasnt worth bothering with as they normally idle high anyway (which, tbh, I was happy to believe, hehe)
Then proceeded to rev the funbags off the old thing.. I shuddered with fear but low and behold it now runs almost without any smoking at all.... New Plugs, Injector Cleaner, rag it.... simples =)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Italian tune up :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Mexican tune up is better :shock: :-D :wink:

find a nice straight preferably empty bit of road, stick her in 2nd and floor her two or three times,
it wont run away with its self as the pump is governed,
this is what i do when taking a diesel to a MOT
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

citronut wrote:Mexican tune up is better :shock: :-D :wink:
That the one with extra jalapeños :twisted:
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

Yes, the good blast in second or third, engine hot, clears loads of cr_p. Essential if my wife has been driving it for a few days as she rarely gets above 2500 rpm.

I think they were supposed to idle at 800 or so, but mine turns over at 1000. Originally there was a throttle damper, if you look where the cable ends under the bonnet the damper fitted between it and a mount to the left (looking in at the engine). If the damper is stiff it will increase the idle speed. I think I took mine off altogether about 12 years ago. With it off, when you take foot off gas in a low gear you decelerate a bit sharply but that's better than very high idle.

Carrying amps, huh. Mine carries a full drum kit, 4.3 octave marimba, keyboard, amp, speakers and tenor sax, plus the jazz trio that play it (all under 17) plus me as driver. I honesty can't think of a better vehicle to transport a percussionist. Easy to load through side and tail, small enough to get into most places, no height problems in multi storey car parks. VW kombi may be better for the kit, but they are bigger and a lot more expensive. I can also carry 5/11 of a brass dectet plus drum kit plus me(a brass dectet has 11 with its drummer, if you were wondering how you get to 5/11.)

I digress. If mine seems a bit smoky, I stop looking in the mirror for a bit. Turn the radio up and enjoy.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini