405 Rear Drum Brakes

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

maddave

405 Rear Drum Brakes

Post by maddave »

Ive just been replaceing the brake shoes on my rear drum brakes for my 1993 peugeot 405. I managed to do the left side fine with a bit of fiddleing and then went round to do the right. This was was done even easier and hooked it all up in half an hour. However, when I put the hub on it went on fine but after screwing it in and turning it, the hub only went round half way really freely and then stuck solid!!! The brakes seem "bound" on at that point. So I re did them, checked exactly that the trailing and leading shoes where on the right side and did it all up again but still the same problem. Went for a drive to see if I could free it up but it made no difference. Cam home an the drum was red hot. The hand brake also, just goes right to the top notch without holding the car at all.
I followed Haynes meticulously but I just dont understand why one drum free wheels fine, the other is stuck fast and the handbrake does bugger all!![:(!]
Please help before monday so I can get to work!!!
David.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

The friction surface on the inside of the drum is probably worn to a larger diameter than spec. producing a lip at the edges and it could be this that is catching as the drum rotates.
If so you will have to grind or file it off providing the drums are not too far oversize.
Manually adjust the shoes to just clear the drum after grinding, auto adjusters are rarely efficient at getting the shoes very close to the drum inner surface, resulting in long pedal travel and poor handbrake operation.
If the other side of the shoe is catching the unswepped edge of the drum, try lightly chamfering the shoe lining to clear it.
If its not this then the drum could have worn oval, not too uncommon but if this was the case you would have had bad vibrations during braking before setting out to do this work.
Did you clean the drums with petrol or similar non greasey solvent, if there is a tack film on the inside of the drum it can grab hold of the shoes.
Don't go adjusting the handbrake cable unless the shoes are working properly and in the correct position, that would compound any problem allready present.
Dave
maddave

Post by maddave »

Cheers for the reply. There is some useful help there. I first though that the drum might be oval but there was no problem with braking before and I have measure the diamiter fine. I will have a look at the lip of the drum but think thats ok too as I have swapped drums on either side and it only occurs on one the right side of the car. I really dont know what is causing it and will again redo the brakes to make sure its all working ok.
Will maybe try sanding down some of the edge of the shoe and wash in petrol.
Cheers again.