Advice please xantia vs synergie vs C8

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Andy F
My Cars:

Advice please xantia vs synergie vs C8

Post by Andy F »

Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice please. I currently have a Xantia HDi hatch which is fantastic, however, its not quite big enough any more. I had a Seat Alhambra very briefly, due to it being a bit disappointing and the need for space diminished at that time. However...

I currently have to transport 32 brass instruments around and deliver whole class brass lessons (noisy!) and the back of my xantia currently looks like this

I don't think this is particularly safe in the event of an accident. Having 7 seats would also be very useful for transporting various family members about and with vast amounts of camping gear, a dog and other peoples young children. I am also in a jazz quartet and sometimes need to transport lots of kit and/or DJ equipment about the place

So my question is this; should I go for a Synergie / 806 or a C8/ 807? If there are any owners or friends of owners with stories of woe or joy involving any of these I would welcome your input

It would have to be an HDi as that engine is fantastic, does the synergie have a Dual mass flywheel. and do the C8s all have FAP. I saw one advertised as non FAP but couldn't work out why it didn't. Also the 2.0 HDi C8 say they are 16v but still 110hp. Which engine is this and is it as durable as the mighty 110HDi in my Xantia?
I would then sell my Xantia as I couldn't justify it as well as a people carrier, but would really miss the hydraulics. it only has 120,000 miles on it too!

Looking forward to your input

Many thanks Andy
1999 Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi 110 Estate
2001 Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi 110 LX
1999 Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi 90
1983 T25 VW camper
1994 Mini 1275 35th Anniversary Edition - sold
2007 C8 2.0 HDi 136 Exclusive - sold
Previous AXs
1987 11RE
1987 11TRE
1995 Dimension
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Re: Advice please xantia vs synergie vs C8

Post by Ben82 »

That actually looks like a testament to how much space the Xantia actually has! :D

One other suggestion which maybe you've already thought of, but how about keeping the Xantia, and getting a box trailer? e.g. something like this. Won't get you the extra seats though, but not sure how important that is in the decision.
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

This is only how much stuff I have to fit in my car after my wife has been shopping.

I would suggest a box trailer too. The problem with the vehicles you mention is that the boots are small, and you'll end up with loose stuff in the passenger compartment, just as you do in the Xantia, so the same safety issue arises. Or a cheap Berlingo diesel van..
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I've owned both an 806 1.9td and a fiat ulysse 2.0jtd which is the hdi in disguise. Good vehicles but the problem is that you can't carry people and luggage. Struggle just to take luggage on it's own with the seats folded because they are still basically at the window level, so in an emergency will still not be very safe, so therefore need to remove the seats completely which is not as easy as you think due to their size and weight and then where do you put them? I used mine as purely 5 seat estate cars, which they did admirably. I've never been in a xantia (have to rectify that sometime) I went from the fiat to a c5. I think to carry all that stuff safely a trailer is the way to go, I see you do have a tow-bar, and you get to keep the car you know, instead of buying what will be another old car that you have no idea what it has had done in the past.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Andy F
My Cars:

Post by Andy F »

Many thanks for the replies.

I too have thought about the box trailer idea, but was a little worried about the security of keeping trumpets in them. I suppose they are out of view. When Im out working with the instruments I am alone, so could remove some more of the seats so the load wouldnt be towering behind me!
And when djing I could have flexibility with taking seats out and possibly get the rest of the band in too. The xantias /c5 I owned were,all great and I would love keep them, just not sure they are up for it long term.
The other side is from July (first child :-) )we will often need to take two child seats with 3 adults and I imagine it will be a little tight in the back seats. Is a synergie any wider? The 3 separate seats look wider, but is that autotrader and ebay lying to me?

Im only testing the water really. If a ppl carrier comes up for sale any time soon near me, I will take the instruments and see how well they fit.

Are there any mechanical issues that are unique to the ppl carriers listed above?
Very grateful for your input
Andy
1983 T25 VW camper
Previous AXs
1987 11RE
1987 11TRE
1995 Dimension
MTND
My Cars: Xantia 1.9td sx early N reg 1995. owned 17 years!
Alfa Romeo 916 Spider 2005.
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017, Nearly done 300 miles

Post by MTND »

Hi Andy
I have a Xantia so know how good they are. Mine has always been a second car as before our Kids could drive we had my other pride and joy, which I still regret selling, a Citroen C8 :-D
I was sad and had the 2.2 16v Petrol model with 160 BHP and Exclusive spec fully loaded.
It drunk fuel but otherwise was a wonderful car which we drove with four teenagers a number of times to the south of France and the southwest of England for holidays with luggage and all. We never used a roof box as when we brought it new, we also measured exactly, new suitcases to fit behind the rear row of seats 8-).
The only change we made as they got bigger was to take out the middle seat in the middle row for a bit of extra space.

I think it would be well up to the job! :) :idea:

Regards
Mark
1995 Xantia 1.9 TD SX owned 17 years
Alfa Romeo 916 GTV Spider 2005
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I don't know about c8/807 but the 806/fiat and presumably the synergie has a narrower middle seat in the second row by quite a bit, and only has a lap belt which clips into the seat at both sides and as easily misplaced (lost!) You can get them, as my 806 had, with a built in booster seat in the wider rear seats, only suitable for older kids, not babies.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v »

Don't go down the C8/807 route , they are a real horror , a friend of mine has a C8 and that has had around £5000 on it in repairs , new engine , clutch/flywheel and numerous silly things . Another friend works for Peugeot and he says the 807 is a donkey . I would reccomend the synergie/806/Ulysses as I had the van version in 2.0 Hdi guise , great drive .

Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.
neil123
My Cars: 2001 Xantia 110 Hdi Forte estate - owned from new.
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

Post by neil123 »

Erm... Xantia estate...??!
Johnny Cogs
My Cars:

Post by Johnny Cogs »

Hey Andy! I might chime in here, and be a bit brass necked as I'm going to blow my own trumpet..... right thats enough of that, I apologise....

I am also a fellow musician. I previously owned an S1 Xantia Estate 1.9TD VSX and Currently own a Synergie, again with the 1.9TD in it.

I am quite confident you could get most of that in the back of a synergie and still keep your middle 3 seats in (all synergie passenger seats are the same size btw....) If you were worried about instruments flying forward under braking, a simple sheet of ply cut to roughly fit roof to floor would be a great temp solution. The seats, If well maintained, are dead easy to get in and out... you just need to know the 'technique' :p

BUT

The Xantia.... doesnt know its loaded... Pulls great even when fully loaded and the suspension.... Oh how I miss those comfortable rides back from those exhausting gigs...., but even with the estate Im not sure you would be able to reclaim the use of the back seat...

Also I found the fuel economy of the Xant a bit better, but my Syn-Bus is running a bit rich at the mo.

I currently Make Amplifiers and repair iunstruments and so far, theres nothing that I've thrown at the bus that it hasnt swallowed.

I would, if possible, try both vehicles and choose between that great ride or that ridiculous flexibilty...

Hope that helps a little?
'rolls in a 1.9TD Syn-bus!'
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

neil123 wrote:Erm... Xantia estate...??!
+1

I have yet to find something that doesn't fit in the boot of mine. (cue stupid suggestions)

but the usable boot space is so much more on the estate
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
Johnny Cogs
My Cars:

Post by Johnny Cogs »

Having re-read your first post Andy I would like to completely ignore my previous post and consider one of these... http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 35&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

all the room, power and reliablity you need.... Plus you can 'up-comfort' the beast with plush synergie seats, door cards etc, and I believe the floor/ carpet will also fit =)
Andy F
My Cars:

Post by Andy F »

Thanks again everyone.

I have also thought about a Xantia estate,but figured if I was going to go bigger, I thought I would consider 7 seats as I think that would prove invaluable.
Your right in that the rear window is frustrating in the hatch, so maybe I should try a Xantia estate too.

I think over the Easter holidays I will take all the instruments out with me and try some different styles of vehicles including things like the dispatches / berlingos

Does anyone have an HDi and or turbo d synergy, if so what sort of mpg are you getting?

Sorry for quick reply, will report back soon
Thanks
Andy
1983 T25 VW camper
Previous AXs
1987 11RE
1987 11TRE
1995 Dimension
Johnny Cogs
My Cars:

Post by Johnny Cogs »

My Synergies MPG isnt awesome, but once i've sorted out is's slight over fuelling issue I would be confident of nearing 40mpg, hopefully on bio-fuel...
Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4
2005 C5 3 Litre V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue and my 1997 Xantia Exclusive V6

Post by Harlequin »

evening! Johnny - i must disagree about the synergie seats , the middle row middle seat is slimmer than the others (i can happily take a photo) not by much , but it is (do like the cup holders and table on the back!)

as for economy - i run mine on biodiesel (£1 a litre - thank you!) , works a dream and has a bosch pump - but i reckon i get somewhere around 35 to the gallon around town (between 50 >60 miles on £10 of esso`s finest which is 7 liters down here)
Simon