405 Braking System

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

crosbie405

405 Braking System

Post by crosbie405 »

Hello,

The other day during an NCT (Irish version of MOT) a brake line burst on my 405. It lost all brakes and could not be driven. I replaced the burst pipe and it passed retest and I plan to completely replace all the brake lines with Nickel Copper ones this week.

After inspection, the car should have a diagonal split braking system. Any ideas why it would have lost brakes totally if this is the case?

Thanks,

Brandon
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: 405 Braking System

Post by evilally »

Not sure, but exactly the same thing happened to me at an MOT. A pipe burst where it runs alongside the fuel tank. Total brake failure!
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

I`ve often thought about this when bleeding,?? with the pedal down to the floor.?? I think if that pipe happened on the road you would get some sort of braking?? I wouldn`t want to try it though.
The 405 rear pipes are very prone to corrosion especially the hidden section between the tank and the sills.Change the lot from the joiners by the front sub frame to the rear wheels,a lot of pipes to make up,horrible awkward job but you will have piece of mind.While your at it,I would recommend new rear flex`hoses.I have had a number that collapse inside causing a rear brake to stay on.
crosbie405

Post by crosbie405 »

Hi guys,

I noticed the brake pedal was getting stuck during brake bleeding and think there may be something not right with the master cylinder. We have a donor 405 here with a newer master cylinder and the pedal travel is fine in that. Still ordered a master cylinder refurb kit off ebay for mine.

Also all the brake lines bar the ones in the engine bay are going to be replaced with copper/nickle ones. Should stop any future embarrassment on the test bench.

Brandon
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

crosbie405 wrote:Hi guys,

I noticed the brake pedal was getting stuck during brake bleeding and think there may be something not right with the master cylinder.
That reminds me?? I`ve had a couple of 405`s where the pivots in the pedal box under the servo get rusty and partially seized.As you may well know this is caused by water,leaves and crap that always collects in 405 bulk head gulleys around the servo.
If you remove the M/cyl it may be worth removing the servo (4 nuts inside the car)just to make sure all is clean and free??
crosbie405

Post by crosbie405 »

Shouldn't be an issue as I have always kept that area clean and free of rubbish but will have a look see regardless.