battery charge fault....

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sym

battery charge fault....

Post by sym »

hi, ive got the battery charge fault message on the display of my car, i changed the alternator today due to the old one having a squeeky bearing, 1st alternator was put in & i got the message up & the alternator was making a hell of a racket so i took it back to the shop but they were shut, so i got another from ecp, it sounds fine but im still getting the message up along with the beeping, ive also put another battery on aswell, whats the chances of having 2 iffy units from 2 different suppliers, does it sound like it could be a bad earth?il get a multi meter & check the voltage but im limited when it comes to electrics, any pointers would be appreciated, thanks, lee p.s i know its my 1st post but ive searched the forum & been a silent viewer for a little while,il introduce myself once i get 5, thanks again, lee
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: battery charge fault....

Post by Peter.N. »

Connect the meter across the battery with the engine running, you should have about 14.4 volts, if its nearer 12 v the alternator is not charging. Could be a faulty one or a wireing fault. Does the charge light come on when you switch the ignition on and then go out when you have started?
sym

Post by sym »

Thanks for replying, when i drove the car it was flashing & beeping nearly all the time, i drove about 10 miles overall & i got a few hundred yards from my house & it went out, so i had another run around the block with all lights on with varied driving, up & down hill speed bumps etc & it stayed off, im going to check the volts again in a bit, when i put the meter accross the battery yesterday i got 14.6 i think, thanks again lee
sym

Post by sym »

been out & checked the car, still 14.6 & no warning lights or beeping, i shall see how it is through out the day, cheers.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Could have been just that your battery was very low on charge.

Peter
sym

Post by sym »

Peter.N. wrote:Could have been just that your battery was very low on charge.

Peter
may of been, it seems to be ok now, no more beeps & warnings, thanks, lee