small rant about al4

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

assasukasse
My Cars:

small rant about al4

Post by assasukasse »

recently I bought a 207 tip, in very good conditions and with few miles, from 2007.
The gearbox works perfectly, gear changes are quite smooth, almost always..
The only change I can feel is the torque blockage on 2nd and 3rd gear if I drive really softly
The biggest drawback is the 4th gear, at 70 miles I run at 3400 rpm, fairly high in my opinion
I tried a mercedes c230, from 2004, autogearbox 5 speeds, I have to say that the difference is evident at 70 miles.
The 230 is running below 2000rpm while I am going at 3400!
Both are petrol.
Gearbox change is quite smooth on mercedes, but I have to say that the AL4 is doing a better job when engine brake is needed...
I wonder why, in 2007 they decided to go for a 4 speed, when 5 and 6 speeds were already available and not really larger or heavier.
Recently I sat on a 7 speed autobox, so smooth I couldnt tell when the gears were changing, it was a mercedes 2000cc, still able to get 40MPG at 70mph, while I am getting barely 41mpg at the same speed. Different story at 62-65mpg, when I get over 44mpg.
any opinions?
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: small rant about al4

Post by spider »

My late father tried a new Polo auto, I recall him saying it was 6 speed (or possibly 7, I forget now it was a couple of years ago) probably 6.

My conclusion was that having so many speeds apart from extreme complexity, although would gain some economy as there would be a better choice of engine speed / power band for more situations that it may of been more suitable for lower powered engines.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
assasukasse
My Cars:

Re: small rant about al4

Post by assasukasse »

interesting point..
I got a friend with a polo, and its auto, I will ask to have a try and see how it feels.