What's this noise likely to be?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: What's this noise likely to be?

Post by Mandrake »

Very likely a slipping AUX belt which will only squeal when the hydraulic pump puts a load on it...(it needs 5 HP to drive the pump under full load)

Check the belt condition and tension.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Yup. Auxiliary drive belt slipping. A slipping belt wears faster and faster. It snowballs: worn = slacker = wears faster.....

It needs replacing: if you tighten the worn belt until it doesn't slip, you risk over-tightening and then its the alternator or HP pump bearings that go.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Early TDs (such as my 1995 S1) had manual tensioner, whereas later TDs had auto-adjusting set-up. There's another thread at the moment on the auxillary belt topic.

Before you remove the belt, make a mental note/sketch, or even get the digital camera out, to ensure it all goes back the same way. I once tried a new route for the belt and not surprisingly, I couldn't make it fit
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom

Post by Old-Guy »

superloopy wrote:Think its manual tensioner, Citroën part 575138, I've checked, £90, ouch! How much tension should there be, and where on the belt?
That's Citroen's price. GSF are good for Xantia parts - a lot less than half the stealer total price for head gasket, bolts, manifold gasket, cam belt etc etc.

IIRC, last I time I changed the tensioner (nearly 6 years ago) I got the auxiliary belt and tensioner from one of the local motor factors. Let your fingers do the walking...

Instructions: there is/was a link to an electronic copy of the Haynes manual on the forum somewhere. Access is from under O/S/F wheelarch (remove lower inner part of liner) and it's pretty simple. This Diagram for belt is for A/C set up; non-A/C the tensioner is in the same place but the belt misses out the A/C compressor.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

For the manual tensioner, where you haven't got the fancy tool, Haynes gives 5mm deflection at mid-point of longest belt run between, which I take as the bottom length of belt between hydraulics pump & crankshaft pulley - I use a firm thumb pressure to deflect the belt. If too slack, belt will scream under load, but avoid overtightening or you'll put excess load on alternator bearings etc. A bit trial & error, but I've found it works :)
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )