Stick or twist?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Stick or twist?

Post by RichardW »

The Xantia is over 140k, and the MOT approaches. Even if it gets through with no work (no chance - there was a full page of advisories last year, about half of which I have addressed :lol: - most likely wishbone bushes, brake pipes, front ball joints), it does need some money spending on it, new stat, another patch on the exhaust, new spheres, new windscreen, AC regas, fix the rear wiper, new instrument bulbs (the first one has gone in the last couple of weeks, no doubt the others will follow!). On the other hand I have spent a little bit on it recently (new hbrake cables, new blower controller, new LP fuel pump).

Then idly browsing Autotrader I stumbled across this: C5 estate

I hadn't really though about changing, but that looks a lot of car for the money - should give me 4 years / 60k to be back where I am at the moment - for not much more than it might cost to get the Xantia tested. Hmmmmm :? #-o
Last edited by RichardW on 19 Feb 2014, 20:04, edited 1 time in total.
Richard W
Northern_Mike

Re: Stick ot twist?

Post by Northern_Mike »

Don't do it! Keep your Xantia! It's a way better car than the C5.

Or so some will have you believe...

If you think your Xantia is going to cost anywhere near the cost of that C5 to get through the MOT, it's a no-brainer isn't it?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

If you're lacking motivation to work on a car, then don't - but be sure its replacement doesn't need work either!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re:

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:but be sure its replacement doesn't need work either!
As it surely will. people don't get rid of cars that are perfectly good...

better the devil you know...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:
addo wrote:but be sure its replacement doesn't need work either!
As it surely will. people don't get rid of cars that are perfectly good.
Of course they do Jim. Are you not familiar with the concept of "must have shinier newer toy than neighbours"?

I'd better not buy a car off you then...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

I agree with Mike, 2 out of 3 of my previous cars were in perfect condition when I sold/traded them in.

My first car started having issues, so px'd it for a newer model... that newer car I px'd after about 2 years because I wanted something bigger and better (my Primera)..... I then sold that on due to moving over to Sweden, and the primera was sitting for 6 weeks at a time to only be used for a week, so was not worth keeping running (plus needed the money to get my C5 over here). Had the Swedes driven on the proper side of the road, I would have seriously looked into getting my primera over here.
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
Johnny Cogs
My Cars:

Post by Johnny Cogs »

iirc, my S1 TD had just rolled over 200k when I replaced all the spheres, brake hoses, sorted out the air feed to the turbo, full svc and new boots all round. The car was bought for cash and served me well as a work thrasher.... after I had done the work i was completely blown away with the ride quality, comfort and frugality of the thing.... If I hadnt mushed the gearbox in a very poorly timed clutch cable clip breaking accident I would still have that beast today! And I still wouldnt have spent more than £1000 total....

I vote stick!
'rolls in a 1.9TD Syn-bus!'
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I say stick with what you know.

WHile a C5 is a more modern design and they do have their many benefits over a Xantia they are not as simple in many ways. Even small things can amount to quite large figures. Having had 5 C5s here I know all about this. I do rate them though and on the whole I think are very good cars, not engaging to drive in any way but they do the job of a car.

As you know that one has th emost reliable and well proven engine, and its quite low mileage too. Check the DMF is not making noises when your using the clutch, check for vibrations and slipping. DMFs can go for well into 100k but can also fail as early as 20K ...

Check all of the elctrics and the comms2000 is doing every function it should and nothing it shouldn't ...

It does seem to be sitting low at the back in those pictures, pretty hard to do with a C5 as they self-level when you open and shut doors ...

If your wanting a change and your Xantia needs some money spending then why not give one a go. They are quite a bit bigger than a Xantia and quite a bit safer, among other things. Good cars, I have recommended a good few people I know to buy them and all have been impressed. Our two current C5s are getting a bit leggy now (52 with 150K, 05 with 98K) however both will be staying for a good while longer as they have both been excellent. The best two C5s of the five we have had.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
MTND
My Cars: Xantia 1.9td sx early N reg 1995. owned 17 years!
Alfa Romeo 916 Spider 2005.
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017, Nearly done 300 miles

Post by MTND »

Stick!! :-D

140k is only just run in, and you've been addressing some of the issues so not a bit list of adversaries this year :-D

Better the devil etc?

Mark
1995 Xantia 1.9 TD SX owned 17 years
Alfa Romeo 916 GTV Spider 2005
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

MTND wrote:Stick!! :-D

Better the devil etc?

Mark
That sums up my above essay very nicely :roll:
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

It was nearly all academic this morning, as a slippery roundabout saw some frantic ABS action, and it nearly sailed into the side of another car... then it burst a suspension pipe on the way home :roll: It is trying to tell me something?

Shall probably stick for now, but see what the MOT man says in a few weeks. I do really like the Xantia, and it would be a shame not to get it over 147k (= me putting 100k on it). Whilst it might 'only' have done 140k, it had only done 47 in the first 6.5 years and I have added the rest, on country roads through 6 Scottish winters - it has not run up a huge motorway mileage early in life. The engine and box are fine, but the bodywork (and pipes!) are starting to show their age, and I can't be doing with replacing a pipe every 3 weeks. Would need to get my own die and pipe for starters. Actually, e-bay....... 8-)
Richard W
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

What is going on there is a car knows when you are considering selling it! :lol:

I swear every car I have sold has ailed something either while I was thinking about selling it or while it was advertised.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Citroenmad wrote: I swear every car I have sold has ailed something either while I was thinking about selling it or while it was advertised.
Same here. Cars have feelings too...

Try neglecting an Activa for any length of time :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Stick.
Spheres are a maintenance item (even if you never drive the car!).

Don't know much about the C5 except it seems to need more different fluids than a Chinese kitchen.

Age of a car is not really relevant as many things on a car need replacing on a regular basis, even if that's 20 years or 200,000 miles.
Replacing a car will always cost more - the concept of your car being worth £x and needing £y to repair so you have to buy a car whose price is less than £x + £y makes no sense as that car will need something doing to it which inevitably will be more than £x + £y and the price you pay.
Mike in West Yorks
1982 GSA Pallas
1982 Dyane
1997 ZX Dimension
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

It's that time again...

The cards are in the air, and wavering, I'm afraid! Had it in yesterday for a 'pre-MOT' check underneath - the front brakes need doing, and the NSF wishbone bush is away, so I didn't want to expend time and energy on it if it was a resounding no in a few weeks time. So, apart from the brakes and wishbone bush it also needs both front ball joints - but rather more difficult is that it effectively needs a re-pipe. He said that most were worthy of a fail now, although he wouldn't commit more than that. It hasn't actually burst one apart from the one that went last year (which was due to a flat sphere I think), but when I was under there last, many of them were looking on the scabby side. Now, I could rub them all down and underseal them, but that might disable it if any start leaking (but maybe that's a good thing!). I haven't really got the time or inclination to re-pipe it though. Could also do with the rear height corrector cradle replacing as it's seized / knackered (there's a lot of slop in it!) - and it's weeping. Mind you, had it 6.5 years and 110k so it doesn't owe me anything.

I'm tempted by superloopy's V6, but that comes at c£1k year fuel penalty, so perhaps not!

Hmm, decision required - got a few weeks to think about it (MOT 21/04) - but brakes won't last that long I don't think!
Richard W