S reg Citroen Xantia 1.9TD SX gear change problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

S reg Citroen Xantia 1.9TD SX gear change problems

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hi,

I am having a few issues with 3rd gear on my S2 1.9TD Xantia Estate.
approxamately two weeks ago I was driving the 40 iles down to Bourne to Barrys Garage to have my heater Matrix replaced.
it was extreeml;y cold and we had just had the last of the heavy snow on the previous Sunday Night/Monday mornning.
after about 10miles out Engaging thrird gear became a little difficult I had to double de clutch to get it into third it crunched a couple of times and I pulled over into a parking slip road as I was getting a bit frustraited with it and took a bit of time out.
I pullled away again and it was difficult to engage 3rd gear but it didnt always crunch when going in to third gear. somethimes selection was easy and others it was difficult.

The car had a fairly long stay at Barrys garage as the MOT ran out and he put throught the MOT for me whilst it was there it passed ok.
I drove it home today the same distance 40 ish miles and the 3rd gear selection was crunchy only once and the gear lever refused to go in once in the whole journey of roundabouts starting and stopping etc.

Now I know my auto adjust clutch cable is probably at the end of its travel and my clutch after approxamately 7 years service towing 2 ton hired trailers with xantias on GSA's on, and finally my latest hobby my 2cv is probably starting to wear down a bit, the clutch pedal feels extreemly heavy. the clutch has done 72K to date with two clutch cables and a new rachet adjuster clip fitted behind the pedal.

Now I have read bits and pieces about the syncronmesh going on these boxes but I am thinking about having the clutch done over at Pleiades, would readers recommend that I source a second hand box before this happens or should I just have the clutch and cable replaced and see what happens then? when driving I get the feeling that the pedal doesnt have enough travel to allow easy selection of third gear sometimes. it is difficult to be able to tell exactly what is letting go.

experiences and advise would be gratefully appreciated she has passed every MOT for 8 years in a row and I am in no way ready to let her go yet
thanks in advance
regards Nigel. :wink:
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: S reg Citroen Xantia 1.9TD SX gear change problems

Post by CitroJim »

Third gear synchro is a well-known weakness in the BE3 'box Nigel..

Yes, indeed do try to source a good replacement gearbox whilst the clutch is being done but do be careful as third synchro is such a common fault you may end up with a new one just as bad...

A good thought is to get one from a smashed but tidy car - good chance the car was not scrapped because of a bad 'box.

An HDi 90 'box makes a good substitute. It will give you a taller top gear and works well on a 1.9TD.

The alternative is to rebuild your 'box. See my website. It's not hard to do...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

I wonder if what sounds to me like weak synchromesh is being exaccerbated by the colder weather, when the gearbox oil is a little thicker than usual. My 1.9TD, now on 180k, makes the occassionally little noise (crunch) going into 2nd (or is it 3rd?). However, this only ever happens at the start of a journey, and therefore before any heat from the engine block has been transfered to the gearbox, & warming up the gearbox oil.

I must remember to see whether this is just a winter event, and disappears in the summer (whenever it gets here :) )
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Johnny Cogs
My Cars:

Post by Johnny Cogs »

Is it worth doing the cheap fix test first? I know it sounds unlikey, but what about just swapping out the old gearbox oil for new, see what happens?
'rolls in a 1.9TD Syn-bus!'
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I used to check other types of used gearboxes by removing the cover and looking at the engaging splines on the appropriate gear, if the synchro is worn the leading edge of the splines will be worn off where its been 'crunching'.

Peter
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Barry has an Hdi 90 Box but it is a hydraulic one unfortunately and mine is not.
could it literally be a maxed out clutch cable not clearing the clutch enough to change into third at times?
i have felt the clutch rachet clip slip a couple of times recently.
The oil has been changed three times in the last three years.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Johnny Cogs
My Cars:

Post by Johnny Cogs »

Ah no need for new oil then! ha... Sorry Nigel, I only suggested it as I am epic for bypassing the obvious and pulling too much apart, just to realise if I'd done the simple thing first I could have saved myself a ton of grief....
'rolls in a 1.9TD Syn-bus!'
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Nigel, if you think the clutch cable is at fault, GSF do them for £21 (Citroen want £43. They know what they can do with that!). It isn't difficult to change (other than the dreaded cable clip, but you know about that), but I would STRONGLY suggest you wrap the whole adjuster area with packing tape. You do NOT want the clip to come adrift whilst fitting the cable (yes, it happened to me). It took me about 2 hours to fit the cable.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if it were the cable it would not just do it going into third,

Nigel isn't it possible to fit the cable operated parts to a box that had hydraulic fitted
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I agree that the cable wouldn't cause a gear specific issue. However, IIRC cable clutches are pull operated, while hydraulic clutches are push operated.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Been here twice. First time I got a 72k box on ebay for a fiver. I nicked the synchro from that (which allows you to eyeball the thing to check it's condition) and rebuilt my own box (there's a thread kicking about somehwere). Second time I got a 78k box for £40 and just swapped it, but as said this is a gamble as you don't really know what you're buying.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:I agree that the cable wouldn't cause a gear specific issue. However, IIRC cable clutches are pull operated, while hydraulic clutches are push operated.

maybe but im almost certain you can switch the fork gear from one type tpo another
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote: maybe but im almost certain you can switch the fork gear from one type tpo another
I'm sure you can... Castings are the same.

Replace the nylon release shaft bushes when you do the job. they cost pennies...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...