child seats in a Xsara

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

3ps

child seats in a Xsara

Post by 3ps »

Hi,

I have a 2001 Xsara 1.4 hatch. 3 full seatbelts in the back, and I can disable the passenger airbag.

I am doing a house swap this summer with some friends. Car swap too... so they will be using the Xsara with their 3 kids.

At first I thought that they would disable the airbag and put the youngest there, with an adult in the centre rear.
But now they tell me the youngest will be out of the rearward facing seat by then, so need three in the rear.

Has anybody done the following?

1 fairly big seat for the youngest
1 booster seat with back for 3-4 year old
1 booster seat base, possibly with the back still on it, for 5ish year old.

Will they fit?

What about disabling the airbag and putting a forward facing child seat in there. I wonder is that allowed?
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: child seats in a Xsara

Post by wheeler »

3ps wrote: What about disabling the airbag and putting a forward facing child seat in there. I wonder is that allowed?
I dont see what would really be different about using a forward facing seat in the front as opposed to a rear facing ??
miked
My Cars: Xsara SX (2003) Last of the line.

Post by miked »

The advice I've seen is NOT to disable the airbag with a forward facing seat. Although you should slide the seat back as far as it will go.
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

It'll be Super tight with 3 seats in the back, its vry tight to put 2 seats in - one booster and one booster type with the back on, and an adult in between, difficult to get the belt on!
Mothers 307 sw with the individual rear seats is tight with 2 and an adult,

you need a wide seat to get 3 car seats in as they ain't small!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

From RoSPA.ORG....

: It is better not to place a forward-facing restraint in a seat with an airbag; try to avoid this if possible. If it is not possible, then check the advice of the vehicle manufacturer. Find out how far the airbag extends when deployed and ensure that your child is well outside the expansion area. Ensure that the passenger seat is as far back from the airbag as possible, that the child seat is very securely fitted and the child is securely held by the harness or seat belt.

All very well, but if you have another child seat behind the passenger seat, the child in the back will have no room. Add the fact that there may be side impact(curtain) airbags and it becomes a bit of a nightmare. Any child booster in the front must have head side cushions to prevent injury from a side impact and airbag deployment. Three seats in the back will be nigh on impossible if only two are boosters. You might manage if you got a seatbelt extension for the child seat in the middle.
For our grandkids, I use a booster in front with the bag disabled, and a booster and child seat in the rear, with minimal space for an adult in the centre. I wouldn't want to be going more than 20 miles or so , unless the adult is very slim.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

I can tell you Even in the xantia there's Not a Lot of space, I'm now Sadly a 36" waist and sitting between 2 boosters isn't very pleasant! 20miles would be an Only if I Really needed too moment!

Thinking back, we had to go up to Middle Somerset from Deepest kernow for a funeral whem our now 6yr old was in a stage 2 seat, the Big type that they can go in from 6months facing backwards and pre booster based Seat, twas me and the wife in the back with littlun in the middle, was in pops honda accord Tourer, 04 plate, we Both ended up sat angled Inwardsdue to it! 3+ hours was Not pleasant!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor