Shredded Aux Belt...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Shredded Aux Belt...

Post by citroenxm »

Had a frantic call off mum today, she said she heard flapping and then the battery light came on!

I said GET home as soon and as carefully as you can, if the altinator light is on after flapping theres a good chance the Aux belt has gone!

She got home safely, so I went this evening armed with a new belt (6pk 1750 by the way) ..

Jacked the front up slightly, removed the wheel arch liner, and not only did I find a shred of belt jammed between the altinator pully and body, which I manged to remove, I ALSO found the following under the car:

:-D

YES, thats the aux belt on the drive shaft!!!

So after half an hour unwrapping the belt, I fitted the new one, tensioned it up, and ran the engine, at a fast idle (3k) for 3 mins, then re checked he belt, all looked ok..

Not sure why it happened, though I cant remember for the life of me if I ever changed the older oil saturated belt or not.

Under the bonnet though, being a late car its fitted with the forward cover over the radiator, I found there was bits of belt al over the place as it disintigarted...

Anyway, ALL pullys in line, and the upper plastic tensioner looked ok and inline too.

Told them to keep the forward cover off for a while to keep an eye on the belt on the HP Pump...
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Re: Shredded Aux Belt...

Post by andy5 »

Mine melted in France and it turned out the alternator was partly seized with the bearings collapsing. I suppose similar could happen if the pump had a problem

I hope you could see well enough to check that the belt hasn't damaged any seals or gaiters on that shaft. It's not unknown to straw to get wrapped around prop or driveshafts and get in past the seals.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Paul, I'd keep a very careful eye on this....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i spoz the drive shaft caught it and stoped it getting in behind the cam covers then,
i still would whip the cam belt covers off the make sure non got in there
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years