BX estate rear struts

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tomsheppard
My Cars:

BX estate rear struts

Post by tomsheppard »

Looks as though mine are leaking and that the problem is getting worse. Since filling with Hydraflush 2 weeks ago, the tick time has dropped from 50+ to 25 seconds, alas. Does anybody know if there is a seal kit available as per the front struts?
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Tom,
I think there might be. The reason I'm possibly a bit vague was that I suspected I had the same problem a few weeks back on my 16V; bloody LHM dribbling everywhere & by sticking my head under it seemed obvious that's where it was coming from.
I asked all over the place & only seemed to get half baked answers but it did seem as though what is effectively an "O" ring set could be bought but as individual items not as an actual kit.
Upon delving into the bowels of the job, I discovered that the return lines have a "T" piece fitted and which appears to be fixed to the top of the rear crossmember in the biggest $%^%&*% of a place to access that you will ever find. I took a deep breath, gave one that was still fixed there a big tug and then made up a new "T" and fitted the lines to it & then strapped it with a zip tie to the rear crossmember. Everything has been fine since.
I was told that it is as rare as rockin' 'orse droppin's for the rear cylinders to leak, but then again, I hadn't given mine a dose of Hydraflush.
Alan S
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Hi Tom. I don't wan't to sound like an agent of doom, but my experience of LHM leaks from BX rear suspension has always been catastophic corrosion of the aluminium casting. They just can't stand winter salt I'm afraid.
Fortunately, even if you can't find any good BX cylinders at a breakers, the front cylinders from a GS /GSA fit, and they have lived a life of luxury indoors!
//NiSk
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

These are estate rear cylinders, I was under the impression that they were different?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think GSF sell them new for about £57 + VAT. - Considerably cheaper than the fron ones!
jeremy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Yes Tom -
The rear cylinders are different for the Estate - they have larger dia bores & pistons than the sedan cylinders - which means a bit higher lift capacity to fit the heavier loaded rear on Estates.
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Tom - give me a call as I'm positive I have a pair of secondhand estate cylinders in the "Wiltshire Farm Store" - even if they may be attached to some rather rusty spheres.
btw - front strut return pipe clip went on like a dream after I opted for the "phone a friend" option last week ... many thanks
David
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

PS - if you've got rear strut leakback WITHIN the cyclinder - which is what you seem to be suggesting - then you'll be able to diagnose it in the following way:
I assume you're tackling one cylinder at a time.
(1) pull free the lower of the two pipes protruding from the bottom of the rubber boot at the piston end of the cylinder. This should logically be the right one - the other (clear one) equalises air pressure in the piston as it moves in and out, but doesn't get any lhm into it in theory as it'll have drained away through the lower pipe.
(2) Allow any lhm to drain into the tray which I forgot to tell you in (1) to put underneath the car..it might well be worth plugging the disconnected return pipe at this point, or doing both sides at the same time , as they link up at the t-piece Alan S mentions.
(3) Now, with engine running and in at normal suspension height, either push down repeatedly on the relevant rear corner or indulge in citaerobics for a while.
(4) Significant rear cylinder leakback should result in noticeable lhm loss direct fron the boot.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

I have a considerable quantity of Hydraflush in the clear pipes. One has an inch of airlock between cylinder and fluid, one seems to have a continuous column. I am getting leakback whilst standing idle from the from the reservoir pipe (only this one,) so I reckon that there is a leak in the cylinder O rings.
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

Yup I'd go with Nisk, its happened twice to me on various Bx estates, the salt just eats through the casting where it meets the subframe, or where the boot is attached, the last time it was just like a tap, putting it in the low position stopped it because the piston in the strut was then the other side of the hole, I had a GS one which had a different piston diameter but I failed to notice any difference in the razor sharp handling ;-)))))
pete
________
ARIZONA MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:41, edited 1 time in total.