Age related problems with the ’99 2.0 HDi Exclusive

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Edhertz
(Donor 2022)
My Cars:

Age related problems with the ’99 2.0 HDi Exclusive

Post by Edhertz »

Can anyone please advise me, or had experience of, age related problems on the S2 hydraulic system? I am thinking in terms of lines and connections cracking and hardening due to heat and time. I had a BX Gti for 16 years and although it was a great car, I was plagued with leaks from the hydraulic return lines and connections as it got older. I never went anywhere without rubber tubing of various diameters (from the breakers), jubilee clips, LHM and a pair of overalls. The front strut flexible returns have been renewed, is there something else, hidden and probably hard to get at that’s worth a look at?
Thanks for looking
Alan
1999 Xantia Exclusive 2.0Hdi Mauritius blue
1999 Peugeot LX 1.9D silver
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Age related problems with the ’99 2.0 HDi Exclusive

Post by CitroJim »

generally speaking Ed the Xantia is doing well in this respect and is nowhere near how bad the BX was with its octopi...

I've seen a few rubber lines get hard now, principally those on the LHM reservoir, the power steering functional return where it changes from metal to rubber and the functional return from the regulator to the reservoir. Most I've seen on a V6 which should be a comfort to you.

I've also seen a failure of the rubber return pipe shaped like an 'F' that carries the front strut returns to the reservoir. That one is right under the reservoir.

And occasionally Activas rot their four way leakage return junction blocks on top of the rear subframe.

The front anti-sink valve can leak but this is a simple new O ring job. Ditto the pump itself.

So that's it. If you have neither an Activa nor a V6 you can be content that leaks are rare..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I've replaced nearly every "rubber" return line and seal on my car, leaving the only ones as yet untouched as the antisink O-rings. The result - a worry-free, leak-free car once again.

I also renewed the PAS flex hose from engine front to chassis.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

CitroJim wrote:Most I've seen on a V6 which should be a comfort to you.
But not to me! :lol:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Mandrake wrote:
CitroJim wrote:Most I've seen on a V6 which should be a comfort to you.
But not to me! :lol:
But at least you don't have an Activa Simon!!!

In fairness, the pipes in question aren't hard to fix, even on a V6 or Activa...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...