1.9 td Xantia with aircon: Auxiliary belt issue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ed4ferrets
My Cars:

1.9 td Xantia with aircon: Auxiliary belt issue

Post by ed4ferrets »

Hi! the auxiliary belt partly shredded itself and came off yesterday, reason unknown. All pulleys tensioners and bearings seem to be in good order. Problem is I can't figure out how to put the new belt on correctly. Are there any diagrams available to assist please? Haynes is of no help in this regard. I do have the correct replacement belt but which ever way I fit it the belt is way too long :(
Ed

'63 Renault Caravelle - stored
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Estate - matrix done:))
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: 1.9 td Xantia with aircon: Auxiliary belt issue

Post by CitroJim »

Ed, this is almost invariably due to the automatic spring-loaded tensioner being stuffed and riding on the belt at an angle due to failure of the needle roller bearings in the tensioner. You can't see it unless the tensioner is under tension and then the jockey wheel looks cocked-over at an angle..

The Haynes BoL surprisingly is helpful but look at the belt diagram for the 2.1TD engine rather than the 1.9. The BoL shows the early 1.9TD engine but all later ones had exactly the same belt and tensioner arrangement as the 2.1TD...

The belt, from memory, should be a 6PK1740 or 6PK1725 depending on which A/C compressor you have. You may have the too-long belt there... best always to pick up one of each and see which fits best.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ed4ferrets
My Cars:

Post by ed4ferrets »

Cheers Jim, the belt and auto tensioner were replaced about 8k back. The only pulley which has a tiny bit of play in it is the A/C compressor, it's also noisy when spun by hand. Have now found the diagrams that I couldn't see earlier.. DOH!
Ed

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Ed, we've known those tensioners fail in that sort of mileage so don't take it for granted it's a good 'un...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ed4ferrets
My Cars:

Post by ed4ferrets »

have now fitted the belt correctly but it's too tight to bolt the manual eccentric adjuster back in place! I recall the previous belt being very difficult to fit (scewdriver to lever it on) and am wondering if it and the new GSF belt (6PK1730) is incorrect. Should the belt fit easily prior to tensioning it?
Ed

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

You need to pin the spring tensioner up and out of the way Ed else otherwise the manual eccentric will be impossible to fit...

The auto tensioner has a 3/8" square drive hole in it to allow you to manually lever it up and then two small holes should align to allow you to insert a locking pin.

Then adjust the manual eccentric until the locking pin can easily be removed. The tension is now set correctly.

The belt is and has to be very tight and highly tensioned otherwise you'll see it bouncing on the tensioner. A 6PK1730 sounds about right...
Jim

ed4ferrets
My Cars:

Post by ed4ferrets »

Jim many thanks, job done.. once a dose of brochitis had run it's course! It no longer sounds like an alternator bearing on it's way out so that's another bonus :)
Ed

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent stuff Ed :-D
Jim

ed4ferrets
My Cars:

Post by ed4ferrets »

ahem.. back again with the same situation which occurred within a week of sorting it :( . Eventually got the xant on the drive to check it out only to find the auto tensioner loose, the mounting bolt has sheared off!! I am guessing that a spare cast mounting bracket will have to be sourced as there seems to be no way to remove the broken end of the bolt. Anyone had issues of this sort before?
Ed

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Ed, did you replace the tensioner assembly complete and with a new bolt and spring?

Important that you do next time...

The stub of the old bolt should be retrievable with a bit of cunning... Normally it is loose in the cast housing and as long as you can get some sort of purchase on it usually it'll unscrew easily. You might need to tease it with a scriber point to get it started...

What's up with your blower? I saw your comment in your signature :wink:
Jim

ed4ferrets
My Cars:

Post by ed4ferrets »

Jim I did replace the tensioner assembly complete with spring but NOT a new bolt.

do you know if the bottom bush of the spring is available on it's own? this one pulled out and is a bit knackered :(

the blower is sorted actually.. will update my signature!
Ed

ed4ferrets
My Cars:

Post by ed4ferrets »

Have managed to source a spare bracket from our own Geoff Lebowski 8-) .

This was a devil of a job to remove from my Xantia (by a mate with more mobility than myself).

He is more familiar with vw/audi where the front panel/radiator etc is easy to remove for access.

Is this the way forward with the Xantia as well to gain access to the work area, or perhaps just radiator removal?

Also whilst the aircon compressor is off is it worth getting it serviced, seals replaced etc?
Ed

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

It doesn't really help much with the Xantia Ed as the front panel is an ocean-going PITA to remove..

I find much better access is achieved to that area by removing the ECU box complete..

On some jobs on some engine variants that job is mandatory..

Then, by disconnecting the engine mount and using a jack the whole engine can be moved up or down to gain good access..

That bracket I know is a right old devil to remove...

Did you not try getting the stub of the bolt out with it in-situ?
Jim

ed4ferrets
My Cars:

Post by ed4ferrets »

Jim thanks for that, ECU box is out, also the engine mount and jack trick enabled :) , was just hoping there may be other ways of gaining more access!

The bracket was already off when I posted on the 17'th. My friend Tim took it home as he has a proper workshop, long story short the steel tube shattered...

Can the tube usually be removed intact.. I have seen your pic where it is separate from the bracket?
Ed

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

ed4ferrets wrote: Can the tube usually be removed intact.. I have seen your pic where it is separate from the bracket?
Yes, it usually can Ed. Where it was separate it was because of complete failure of the needle rollers the tube normally rides on..

With a new tensioner the tube will be held fast and won't easily come out but often on removal of a duff one the tube stays behind and it's then a case of teasing it out of the casting and often needing quite some persuasion from large pliers...
Jim