Stubborn rear spheres - xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mseymour
My Cars:

Stubborn rear spheres - xantia

Post by mseymour »

The muppet who last fitted spheres to my xantia tighted them on! I've managed to remove the front spheres, but I broke a couple of chain wrenches and ended up using the jubilee clip and hammer technique - subtle.
I suspect the rear spheres will be as bad. I'm planning to put the suspension to max height and try and undo them by a quarter turn...
How much force can I apply to them before I risk doing some damage to pipes etc?
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Just keep a close eye on them and at first sign of them turning...stop!!
I understand that Andyspares have a service whereby you can "buy" a proper sphere remover & on it's return, get a refund of a percentage (90%?) of the price; in other words, you hire it. Under the circumstances, this may be a good investment. Keep a load of something heavy handy & if it all looks like it's going to spin, with the suspension set on full height, toss a load in the boot to keep its feet on the ground.
Alan S
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

You're not the first bloke who has found the front spheres dead easy to spin off then found the rears nigh on impossible. It's usually the way of things. If you intend staying with hydraulic Citroens, it's worth investing £30 in the removal tool - or making one from the several descriptions on these pages. You'll be amazed how easy they come off with the right tool.
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

I can only endorse what's said above - using the correct tools right from the start is the best way of avoiding grief with this job .... I speak from bitter experience on one particular BX .
David