Today is a sad day...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Lenny
My Cars: 1986 2cv Charleston
1986 2cv Special
2010 C5 2.0HDi Exclusive Tourer Auto
1992 VW Corrado VR6
1970 Vw Beetle

Today is a sad day...

Post by Lenny »

I've just removed and thrown away two of the original Michelins off my Xantia.

After 14 and a half years and 80000 miles of stirling service they've finally been consigned to the scrap heap.

I feel bad mercilessly throwing away tyres with 3 to 4mm still on them but the cracks in the sidewalls were starting to concern me.
Does anybody dare me to send them back to Michelin and try for a warranty claim or shall I perhaps keep them for the next time The Antiques Roadshow comes to town? :wink:
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Today is a sad day...

Post by spider »

:D

Rears I assume ?

Yes the sidewall cracks can be alarming. Did you check the date codes for when they were produced ?
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Lenny, it's something I do with regularity sadly. I never wear out tyres and have to replace them because they're perished and cracked...

It must say something about both how many miles I do and how I drive :roll:

In any case, any tyre over five years old should be replaced regardless of apparent condition. A recommendation I first became aware of when I was a caravanner.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Lenny
My Cars: 1986 2cv Charleston
1986 2cv Special
2010 C5 2.0HDi Exclusive Tourer Auto
1992 VW Corrado VR6
1970 Vw Beetle

Post by Lenny »

Did you check the date codes for when they were produced?
I did indeed. They both had 248< on them. So week 24 of 1998 I believe (car was registered December '98).
They had lived on the rear for most of their life I presume, but I swapped them to the front when I bought the car to move the mismatched pair of Ching-chong kamikaze specials to the rear.
With hindsight I couldn't be sure which layout was most death defying.

Binned the lot now, including the crusty spare, and bunged on a new set of Goodyear Efficient Grip (chosen purely because they're apparently the quietest thing in this size).
I never wear out tyres and have to replace them because they're perished and cracked...
You should've seen the ones I took off the back of the 2cv a couple of years back. They'd kept it's posterior off the ground for 23 years according to the date codes. Proper value for money. :-D
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

CitroJim wrote: In any case, any tyre over five years old should be replaced regardless of apparent condition. A recommendation I first became aware of when I was a caravanner.
Agreed, although the figure I've often seen bandied around is about 7 years, of course its going to vary depending on the UV exposure, quality of the rubber etc.

It's particularly a problem in NZ where UV levels in the summer are some of the highest in the world (summer ozone hole combined with extremely low levels of smog and pollution) and a 7 year old tire is typically perished well beyond safe use, with severe cracking.

14 year old tires is really asking for trouble regardless of tread depth though Lenny! It's a real safety risk, I'm glad that it worked out ok for you this time, but I wouldn't recommend taking the risk again...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive