C5 Suspension Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mikep511

C5 Suspension Problem

Post by Mikep511 »

Hi - Hope someone can help me out here!

The suspension on my C5 Tourer (new model with Hydractive suspension) has started to act weird - Started off bouncing like a kangaroo will driving on the road, I have checked that the it will rise and lower using the buttons and this works fine - It holds at raised position for quite a while even after the engine is turned off etc. However when I drive away and go over the speed for raised suspension it goes to what should be normal driving position, however the back suspension immediately goes down to what would be lowered position and after a short while the service suspension warning shows up, also will not let me raise or lower using the buttons - But the strange thing is the warning does not come on again after the engine is turned off and the car is left sitting for a while and the raise lower buttons start working again also. So was hoping someone might have experience of this and what the cause is? I am assuming that it is not mechanical (or the fluid speaking of which how do I check the level for this and as there a warning lamp for low level as I cannot seem to find one?)as the suspension rises and holds using the button and still holds even with the engine off, so was thinking this might be something electrical ?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to let a garage loose on this and trying everything out under the sun if it is something common and straightforward to fix.

thanks in advance

Mikep
Lighty
My Cars:

Re: C5 Suspension Problem

Post by Lighty »

These systems seem remarkably reliable, so very little experience with faults unfortunately.
It does sound as if you have a height corrector issue, as the car is sorting itself out based on speed information, but would appear to,have no fixed reference setting. Have you checked the height corrector, it's just a little potentiometer connected to the rear Anti Roll bar.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
456eec

Post by 456eec »

Mike,

I wont comment on possible mechanical causes but can tell you how to check fluid.
On the drivers side (R) of the engine bay there is a plastic cover. The screw cap poking through is the coolant and in front of this a a fake cap in the cover. This is over the suspension fluid filler. I'm not sure what year you have but in my car the cover is removed by prying up the centre of the 2 clips at the back to remove them and removing the torx screw at the front. Once the cover is off you can remove the cap to the suspension reservoir. There is a shoulder towards the botton and fluid should be visible at the level of the shoulder. If not fill up until it is visible at that level. Depending on the year it may need LHM or LDS. Mine had an LDS sticker on the tank but if you're unsure do a search to check what it needs.
Fluid is available at Citroen dealers or (more cheaply) at Total Oil distributors.
http://www.totaloil.com.au/Pages/austra ... ment&LG=EN&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hattershaun
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C6 3.0HDi Exclusive
SM 3.0 manual 1972
DS 23 Pallas 1975
GSA Pallas C-Matic 1982
C3 Pluriel 2009

Post by hattershaun »

Check the suspension fluid level with the suspension in it's lowest setting.
LDS fluid is the correct fluid and is orange in colour. Don't use LHM, which is green in colour.
Shaun

C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive - 2010
SM 3.0 - 1972
DS 23 Pallas - 1975
GSA Pallas C-Matic - 1982
C3 Pluriel - 2009
Mikep511

Post by Mikep511 »

Hi,

Many thanks for the replies received already !

Checked fluid and all is well as I can see it at the bottom of the funnel where you fill it, so no leaks.

Did a few more checks just now and get the following results -

1/ The rear is slow to start rising but starts to lower immediately when I push the button to raise/lower the suspension (using the buttons in the car) compared to the front which starts to rise right away My car is the new type exclusive tourer where you can lift the rear via a button in the boot -

2/ When I take it up to the max hieght and lower it back using the buttons inside the car the rear by passes normal height and goes straight to low height however the front goes to normal when requested and then to lower at the next push of the button

3/ the button inside the boot does not seem to work - no matter what level the car is sitting at it wont go up or down whatever way I press the button

So hopefully the above might be familiar to someone?

By the way if it is the height sensor would this be able to be done by a local garage and will the need the software diagnostic tool to find this fault? Or should I get someone to diagnose using the software diagnostic tool regardless of what we think it might be?

thanks gain,

Mikep
Mikep511

Post by Mikep511 »

Hi Forgot to say in my last post that when using the interior buttons the rear does not rise to the normal driving position (from the lowered setting) however the front does rise at this point and the same goes when going up or down to the mid height position the front goes to this height but the rear goes direct to lower position from the high one or sticks at the lower position when prompted to rise to normal driving or mid position - hope that makes sense? Finally just noticed that the suspension does not rise or fall (neither the front or the rear)when I open the door or sit in the car etc. i.e. meaning it only moves up or down when prompted by pressing one of the interior buttons or as mentioned in my first post when I drive at the wrong height and the speed is passed for that height setting - then it goes up (or down to normal driving position)

thanks again

Mikep
Mikep511

Post by Mikep511 »

I think my memory is gone !!!

Forgot to ask if anyone who has had a problem with the suspension has driven on for a few days not exceeding the max speed given in the service warning message (which I think says do not exceed 55 mph until repair is done) - As I might take a few days to get a booking at a garage for a repair and want to make sure it is safe to drive in the meantime?

thanks again,

Mikep
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Try and have a look at the height sensor before you book it into a garage. They are said to be a very easy fix, about a ten minute job.
Part is around £30 from the dealer.
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Took u a picture of the rear height corrector on a C5 with Hydraulics

Last edited by Lighty on 21 Feb 2013, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Mikep511

Post by Mikep511 »

Hi Guys thanks a lot for the replies re the height sensor and pics much appreciated !

Without wishing to sound too stuupid - Are the height sensor and Height corrector both the same part? Also sounding even more stuupid what parts am I looking at on the picture you posted Lighty? - Assuming the part at the very front as you look at the picture also saw posts in this forum about giving it a good soaking with WD40 or similar o maybe try that as a first bit of action.

Thanks again Mikep
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

The height corrector/ sensor are the same thing, they just send information to the ECU for reference purposes.
I have highlighted it on the pic now (I hope)

Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Take a look here Mike, just what the doctor ordered :)
Mikep511

Post by Mikep511 »

Hi Folks,

Many thanks to everyone for all the help and advice received so far - been a great help ! :-D

Managed to get under my car yesterday and found out what the fault is (at least I hope that is it !!)- the height sensor was indeed the problem - in fact the arm connecting it to the roll bar had actually corroded and became detached ! So been trying to see if I can get it a bit more drive able in order to take it to my local garage - after a bit of playing around and adjusting up and down what is left of the arm I have managed to get it back to lowering and raising as when I press the appropriate buttons, unfortunately still not going to the correct height for driving so likely to use green flag to get it to the garage - However I need one more bit of advice in that does the garage need the diagnostics kit to do this job properly or is it just a case of either fixing the arm or putting on a new unit altogether without having to reset heights etc. using the Lexia diagnostics tool?

thanks again,

Mike P