Lexia manual/guide?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MonkeyMark

Lexia manual/guide?

Post by MonkeyMark »

Thinking about getting a Lexia and reading through some of the threads on here. Sounds likes its pretty confusing.
Is there a manual or guide available so I can get an idea of what I will/won't be able to do should I buy one?
Happy(ish) C8 owner.
oneday
My Cars:

Re: Lexia manual/guide?

Post by oneday »

loads on youtube have a look not seen an actual manual anywhere
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
MonkeyMark

Post by MonkeyMark »

Well after looking around at some of the threads pertaining to lexia, especially the updating of the software, I must say it's putting me off buying one. Though I still probably will :-D
Last edited by MonkeyMark on 22 Feb 2013, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.
Happy(ish) C8 owner.
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

it sounds worse than it is they are simple to use
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

I have had one a while but not used it yet, that said I have had a couple of 'funnies' recently so intended to.
Sadly the cold weather go the better of me, freezing in the garage so maybe next week ?

I would also have liked a manual or brief stutorial on using it, jsut so I know what to do to set it up.
Plug this in here, select this press that etc. As an example I did start it when not connected to the car when I first got it and it asked for a vin no. but didn't say why. Because it uses it as the key to log all uses for a car or because it will use it to get the exat vehicle info ? Just noce to know what to expect.

As ever with such things worried about doing something wrong, but I am sure it is straightforward. I will bite the bullet and do it next week.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

The VIN number needs to be entered manually on some older cars (like Xantia) so that it knows what ECU's to scan for - it has a database of VIN numbers and what ECU's were shipped with that individual car, (what kind of engine etc) and what ECU's might be present as optional extras. For example on my Xantia it scans for side air bags even though it doesn't have them presumably because it was an optional extra that was available for my car at sale time that was not actually fitted.

On newer cars it can retrieve the VIN number automatically during initial scan. Sometimes it might ask for an RPO number, but the reason is the same - knowing what ECU's to expect and scan for.

Lexia operations can be broken down into a few categories -

* Scanning ECU's for fault codes
* Reading fault codes
* Clearing fault codes
* Parameters measurement (reading realtime sensor data, such as displaying coolant temperature, rpm, oxygen sensor voltage etc)
* Actuator testing (manually operating various items, such as sparking the spark plugs individually in a not running engine)
* Configuration (such has enabling/disabling the alarm, or matching new engine ECU to a car)
* Downloading (downloading software updates into an ECU)

Of those the only dangerous one really is downloading, as performing a software update - like updating the firmware on any device carries some risk - a failed update may brick an expensive ECU. I would consider that an expert feature for newbies to stay away from and even for experts to avoid unless absolutely necessary. (Sometimes it can't be avoided for example changing the valve block on an AL4 gearbox requires a mandatory software update as the replacement valve block is a different brand to the original and needs different programming to work)

Configuration could potentially be dangerous but only if you were fitting a brand new ECU and mucked up the configuration process as some ECU's can only be configured once, such as matching a CPH and Engine ECU together. Mess that up and you're screwed, however on existing ECU's the danger is not there as you can't reprogram them.

All the other bullet point options I listed are safe - even if you muck something up you can always undo it.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Thanks, good reply and all I needed to know.
Especially the vin no, I will have it handy when I start, no need for updating but main thing is to ask the patient it's symptoms.

Once I can work outside without my fingers freezing up I will give it a go.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
MonkeyMark

Post by MonkeyMark »

Agreed, excellent reply, very grateful.

It's all these little bits that I need to make a note of for when I eventually get my arse into gear and buy one.
Happy(ish) C8 owner.