Xantia front bumper side mounts

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Xantia front bumper side mounts

Post by Dommo »

Hi all

I recently acquired a replacement front bumper for my VSX which had a rough looking non foglight bumper. The only problem is, one of the two mounts on the sides is missing from the new bumper. The mount I mean is the sort where there is one on each side... The one with the captive nut on it and the bolt is accessible through the removable part of the arch liner.

We took great care removing one of these mounts off my old bumper but couldnt remove the one we needed without churning up the plastic that the captive nut is in, so basically it's not a captive nut any more.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to mount our mount into the new bumper, and to keep the now not capitve bolt, captive?

Cheers.

PS What a pain in the arse radiator replacement is! Even with the sensible early phase 1 hoses!!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: Xantia front bumper side mounts

Post by Xaccers »

Short bolt, large washer, plenty of epoxy.

Put the washer on the bolt, feed it through the hole from inside the mount part and epoxy it in place.
You may want to tighten a nut down the shaft and get it to sink into the mount where the captive used to be to help hold it in place.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Bend some 3mm stainless into a short, flat bottomed "U" profile, tap thread to suit side mount bolt. Go and see your local bike mob who do plastic welding, and get the fabricated part, plastic welded into the bar. The sides of the "U" will stop it spinning.
Dommo
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

Thanks for the suggestions, we took a mixture of the two ideas and plastic welded the original nut back in, after running a tap through it to clean the threads, along with a liberal coating of copper grease on the much shortened bolts after cleaning them up to a sheen with a wire brush attachment on our bench grinder.

It also turns out that 2.1/activa/v6 front wings are a completely different shape at the bumper to the 'lesser' models. Luckily we have those front wings, just need to fit them now, next weekend maybe??

Cheers all!
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Funnily enough it was only yesterday I found out about that the flared wings aren't exhangable with the normal ones :shock:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Dommo
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

red_dwarfers wrote:Funnily enough it was only yesterday I found out about that the flared wings aren't exhangable with the normal ones :shock:
Is the bolt pattern the same though?? I've got a 2.1 bumper on my 1.9, and I was hoping to fit the 2.1 wings and it'll look ok, is this not the case? I know the arch liners are different though! Which reminds me, I need a 2.1 driverside/offside wheel arch liner.. Better get a wanted thread on the go!

Cheers.