Newbie questions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bigbrother
My Cars:

Newbie questions

Post by Bigbrother »

Hi people, first post here (after a scan thru the Citroen section) so dont <i>flame</i> me straight away.
I recently purchased a 97 2.0 petrol Xantia <i>Dealer PX</i> and <i>NO</i> paparwork wot-so-ever, and would appreciate some info regarding:
<b>Key Fob remotes</b> - have one but it doesnt work - can you (i) get secondhand fobs and re program them (as i can with my Scorpio) ? If it helps i have a smoked glass sphere (reciever ?????) in the headlining near interior mirror
<b>Speedo</b> - not working (although has flickered during motorway run), any ideas where the drive comes from, and is it a cable mechanism or electronic. Failing that how easy is it to get dash/clocks out for fault finding etc.
Thanks in advance
Regards,
bb
Bigbrother
My Cars:

Post by Bigbrother »

.........ooops i just remembered the other thing i would like to know.
Can you (i) disable the PIN code prior to (re) starting the vehicle. My wife does courier work and finds it an absolute nightmare.
Regards,
bb
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

put in your pin number,start the car then unplug the connector from the back of the keypad.the imobiliser will stay unlocked as it cant communicate with the keypad.
Bigbrother
My Cars:

Post by Bigbrother »

Nice one mate - i'm off to try it now
Regards,
bb
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

You can disable the keypad by setting the code to 0000, now all you need is how to reset the code.
As for the plip, have you tried a new battery?
Reprogramming is a simple matter of turning the ignition on and firing the plip at the reciever. Search the forum for a more detailed explanation.
New plips are over £60 from a dealer.[B)]
Bigbrother
My Cars:

Post by Bigbrother »

Have disabled the keypad (short term) will try reconnecting it over the weekend and changing the PIN No. (not sure how though). Will try to clean the remote fob up (slight corrosion due to moisture ingress - rubber boots gone) and get new batteries - but i figured i'll probably need a new (secondhand) one.
Thanks for all the help so far,
Regards,
bb
Bigbrother
My Cars:

Post by Bigbrother »

<b>@ Wheeler</b>( i think we all understand <b>@</b> =<b> at</b> dont we ?) - if i reconnect the keypad, do i do it when the ignition is on ?
and will the code be the same as before ?
Regards,
bb
algieuk

Post by algieuk »

Sorry, tried to understand what you were asking, but it is just too much hassle to try to understand the aborted american spellings and weird abreviations.....and who is the "U" guy you are referring to? There are six members listed with the username beginning with "U", but none seem to have answered you yet.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

the code will be the same as before.
when you re-connect it it souldnt really matter if its on or off but i would do it with ign off then open the drivers door then close wait 30 seconds and it should lock & it will be back to normal.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Bigbrother,
Friendly word of advice mate;
When posting please remember that many of our members don't have English as their first language and as a result find great difficulty in trying to make sense of the abbreviations.
No offence intended, but some of us have English as our <b>only</b> language and as the ones most likely to be of assistance to you are usually people who use the 'net for the practical purpose of accessing and disseminating information and are not into the jive talking type shortcuts for words (even though it takes some of us a long time to write a sentence using one finger) [:p] we can find it nigh on impossible or don't want to have to waste the time to decipher what you're trying to say.
Keep it simple & I'm sure you'll reap the benefits of some very helpful information and be made well & truly welcome as any genuine member usually is.
Alan S
Bigbrother
My Cars:

Post by Bigbrother »

Fair point i suppose - i am used to other forums and the associated "lingo" that accompanies them, so apologies to all that cannot understand my intimations using "<i>net speak</i>. It is indeed a slang version of the English language and is not intended to offend N E 1 (ooops - anyone), i am merely used to typing in such a stupid and unorthodox way.
I do appreci8 (ate) all the help i have received in such a short space of time - much like when i first joined the Volvo Forum - just because i purchased a car <i>sans</i> paperwork does not exclude me from the Citroen owners society (although i do have a pedigree dog so i guess i dont buy everything "blind").
Regards to all that have inputted in this thread - even the "<b>U</b>" members that didn't get the reference, any help is much appreciated
Thanks to all,
bb
Bigbrother
My Cars:

Post by Bigbrother »

......now about this failed speedo - any ideas please ??????
:):)bb;)
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

I would think all 97'ers will have an all electronic speedo, the transducer for it is on the right hand side of the diff housing, give the wiring connector a good clean.
Dave
Bigbrother
My Cars:

Post by Bigbrother »

Thanks for the info Dave will have a fiddle tomorrow - forgot to mention that mines automatic, will that affect your answer ?
Regards,
bb
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

see this thread about checking the speedo sensor.
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... rms=speedo