Noisy Cambelt (406)

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Muggins
My Cars:

Noisy Cambelt (406)

Post by Muggins »

I had a cambelt fitted some 4000 miles ago..
after having the belt fitted it was very noisy (constant whirring), upon calling the garage to find out if this is normal I was told that is was quite normal for the cambelt to "sing" for about 1000 miles or so.. still after 4000 miles the cambelt can still be heard, nowhere near as bad as it was just after being fitted but its still there.. just a constant whirring noise (sounds like an electric scooter) can anyone tell me if this is quite normal please or should I be worried?
thanks
Car: Peugeot 406 2.0i 16V GLX 1998 (R reg)
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

You're right to be worried; it is not right, they should not under any circumstances whirr. They've screwed it up possibly big time.
The noise could be several things.
Rubbing on the cover.
Tensioner on the way out.
Pump on the way out.
Overtightened belt.
In the case of the latter, this means that the belt is running under a higher tension than that for which it was designed, as a result he's banking on it stretching to rid it of the noise.
These belts are not made as a circular piece of webbing; they are in fact a straight length, stitched even though you'll have a problem finding the joint. My BX 16V had an overtight belt fitted prior to my purchase & when I replaced it a few klms later (due to my uneasy feel I had about the guy who used to service the car) I discovered that the (micro)stitches were starting to break so effectively my timing belt could have snapped without warning at any time.
Another point with this also is that these belts are not designed to stretch; this is why they must be tensioned just right. This is achieved by the setting of the tension by the locking pins in the crank & cam shafts. When correctly set, these pins slide in & out easily; when incorrect (or if not used,) don't. As a result, the valve timing will also be affected.
In the case of tensioners or water pump being the cause, then again as I say, you have a potential for a disaster if either fail. These should be checked & the water pump changed, I feel, at every second belt change (160,000 klms).
If it's only scrapimg on the cover, then he's correct; the noise will stop as soon as it wears through the plastic, but again, is this working in "a professional & tradesman like manner" which they seem to like to quote when they hand you a king sized bill.
Not trying to put the frighteners up you, but I'd be getting it checked out real fast!!
Alan S
Muggins
My Cars:

Post by Muggins »

thanks for your reply alan.. i will have it checked tomorrow by a different garage.. much appreciated.. thanks again.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I forgot to add also that the cambelts are directional. I have heard of them being fitted reverse rotation, but I couldn't tell you if this causes a noise as you've described.
I believe it may be possible though.
Alan S
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Muggins</i>
[upon calling the garage to find out if this is normal I was told that is was quite normal for the cambelt to "sing" for about 1000 miles or so..
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
B*****ds arn't they? They'll tell you anything to wriggle off the hook!
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

What was the verdict on this by the other garage???
Alan S
Muggins
My Cars:

Post by Muggins »

the belt was changed by the peugeot dealer (bloody expensive too).. the original garage stated they would not change this as they could see no problem with it.. but the dealer said pretty much the same as you guys.. thanks for your help on that :)
just shows ya.. dealers are damn expensive but then the back street garages are cheap but slap dash eh
cheers guys
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I take it from that it was an overtensioning problem or fitted reverse rotation?
Alan S
Muggins
My Cars:

Post by Muggins »

apparently very very bad overtensioning
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Weren't you a lucky boy it didn't go pop!!
Go buy a lottery ticket; you can't go wrong.[:D][:D]
Alan S [;)]