C4 1.6hdi turbo probs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

johntom

C4 1.6hdi turbo probs

Post by johntom »

Hi
I have just replaced the turbo 'core' following failure of the old one. I have cleaned the sump, replaced the oil pick up, feed pipe etc and done several oil changes etc. I tested the oil return from the turbo and got the required 0.3 litres in 30 secs.
However when the car is running there is a whistle from the turbo area? up to around 2000 rpm and sometimes a ch,ch,ch sound when releasing the throttle?

I have checked the hose clips etc but can't find any loose and the actuator arm moves up and down when the car is revved, any help welcome as I'm stuck now?
Could the vains inside the turbo be put together wrong, I cleaned them and the ring etc with carb cleaner and they moved freely, is it possible they could be closed when they should be open ?
cc101

Re: C4 1.6hdi turbo probs

Post by cc101 »

You could be getting a leak around the clamp which bolts it to the cat/dpf, if I remember the sealing clamp was updated a while ago to improve the seal, best way to ensure a good seal is to unbolt the dpf from it's mounts then offer up the turbo, attach clamp and tighten, then bolt dpf back on the mounts.

Chris.
Xantia 1.9 TD 1993 (sinker)
johntom

Post by johntom »

Hi
thats how i fitted it, didnt see any sign of a leak around the clamp, but i will remove the heat sheild and look again.

Is there anyway the vain assembly could be incorrectly fitted?
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Normally you would expect a leak to be getting those noises, but maybe the core is not balanced, causing it to make a noise.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
johntom

Post by johntom »

Hi
even though the core is new, i am pretty sure there is play in the shaft. It is possible to wiggle the impellor etc, so i have removed it and will be sending it back for inspection by the seller.