C5 2.2hdi Intermittent power loss

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MotorheadC5

C5 2.2hdi Intermittent power loss

Post by MotorheadC5 »

I'm currently having a problem with my 2002 C5 Hdi Estate. I am getting loss of power which comes and goes. Once the engine is turned off and restarted the power returns but then goes again once being driven for a short time. I'm also getting the emissions warning message. I would be keen to know peoples views as i've read that it could be the DPF and associated additive, which is obviously a tricky and potentially expensive job. But i've also read that it could be the MAF sensor, which would be an easier fix. Anyone got any views? Would the problem be intermittent if it was the DPF?

Thanks
oneday
My Cars:

Re: C5 2.2hdi Intermittent power loss

Post by oneday »

it sounds like it is going into limp mode. have you tried a regeneration run to clean out the dpf. you could try cleaning the maf with contact cleaner but be careful not to break the very fine wires or the maf will be no good and will have to be replaced. have you had a look in the super sticky forum at member lexia locations so you could have a session done to help locate the fault.
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
MotorheadC5

Post by MotorheadC5 »

Sorry. What do you mean by a regeneration run?
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

i have a 2.0 hdi so i dont have a dpf but i think it goes

drive above 40 mph for about 20 mins this should force a regeneration of the dpf but if its going into limp mode i dont know if this will be possible. im sure someone who has this model will be on soon to correct me if im wrong
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
MotorheadC5

Post by MotorheadC5 »

That will be be difficult as it goes into limp mode well before that. I'm interested to know if anyone thinks the MAF could be a possibility. I'm trying to find some hope that it isn't the DPF. Thinking about taking it off and cleaning it if I really have to but will try the MAF first. Already had quote from dealer for £900 to repair DPF problem.
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

cheaper to drill 2 15mm holes through it and have it removed from the ecu. maf doesn,t useualy give an intermittent fault what milage has the car done and where abouts are you
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

My own experience of duff MAFs is that the car will lack power more when cold than when warmed up.
MotorheadC5

Post by MotorheadC5 »

car has done close to 160k. In Newcastle
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Post by Monkeyfeet »

'cos it's an easy check and cure, is the swirl valve actuator ok? If the plastic ball joint is broken it just flaps about of it's own accord, sometimes will pull away, sometimes struggles to etc.
Re the DPF - any dealer / independent who quotes £900 for dpf fix on a 2002 car doesn't want to do the job, though they should recommend getting rid of it even if they can't do it themselves. Not a difficult or expensive job btw.
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
MotorheadC5

Post by MotorheadC5 »

Hi,
Thus far I have tried changing the MAF sensor and the car has not gone into limp mode since but it isn't 100% and there is still a emissions fault showing. Does anyone know if A./ there is a need to reconfigure electrics following installation of the new MAF B./ If the car isn't going into limp mode the MAF was probably the problem and C./ Would the emissions warning remain unless its reset even if the problem had been fixed?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

MAF defects won't result in limp mode, only severely reduced performance and there is nothing to reset or reconfigure - plug and play :)
There is clearly a secondary defect there.

As monkeyfeet says, the swirl valve and actuator are common suspects on the 2.2.