Citroen C5 Alternator / Serpentine Belt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MaxPrimal

Citroen C5 Alternator / Serpentine Belt

Post by MaxPrimal »

Hi Guys need some urgent advice.

I was taking my daughter to school as normal this morning when I came to a junction and heard a noise from the engine, which got worse as I revved the engine. I pulled over and noticed the ribbed rubber belt that runs round the engine/alternator etc was slightly frayed and it was hitting a pipe which I think is to do with the powered steering fluid. The belt also appears to have moved on the pulleys a bit. Needing a fix as fast as I could I managed to get the frayed end and pull it so it (eventually) came off taking one of the steel structural wires with it. Checking carefully I could not see anything else hitting or loose so I got my daughter to school and made my way to work - a touch slower than normal.

A local garage can swap the belt for just under £70 inc parts, labour and VAT which is about what I expected it to cost, but cannot do it until Monday.

I never paid attention to the belt when I got the car other than to notice it was there. It may have slipped since I got it, or it may have been like this for months and pure chance has caused it to start to frey on the edge. I really have no idea.

I have taken a couple of pics of the belt and how it is sitting on the pulleys. My question is do I risk driving the car for a couple of days or not?

What do you guys think?

Max
Image 1
Image 1
Image 2
Image 2
Image3
Image3
2008 RENAULT LAGUNA 3 EXPRESSION DCI 130 - Satnav, Bluetooth and more...
oneday
My Cars:

Re: Citroen C5 Alternator / Serpentine Belt

Post by oneday »

personaly i would not risk it. if it goes it can dislodge the cam belt and end up needing a very costly repair
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

Just swapping a belt is not a £70 job. Are they going to do the tensioner and pulleys whilst they are in there? I'd expect a pulley/tensioner/belt plus fitting to come to about £100 in a reputable garage. Kits are £50 + an hours labour if they know what they are doing.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
MaxPrimal

Post by MaxPrimal »

They have quoted me just short of £70 for replacing the belt. I have used this garage for about 5 years and he is totally trust worthy - he also has a lexia which is an added bonus too. I assume he will examine the tensioner at the same time and ensure it is not gone.
2008 RENAULT LAGUNA 3 EXPRESSION DCI 130 - Satnav, Bluetooth and more...