Xantia LHM+

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BonceChops
My Cars:

Xantia LHM+

Post by BonceChops »

Hi all,
I am about to replace the LHM+ in my Xantia because it is a yukky yellowish colour.The Haynes book says it takes over 5 litres, is this correct because it seams a lot for the size of the tank. Also should I use Total LHM+? I was in my local GSP today and they only sell some other make.
Thanks in advance,
Neil
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Any LHM+ will do, I've used the Bendix stuff from GSF at £2.75 a can and its been fine.
5 Litres is far too much, although the tank will just take that much it will tend to seep out the seal at the top. 3.5 to 4 litres will be plenty.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

I think haynes may be quoting for the complete system. It is unlikely you will get all the LHM out without dismantling the suspension struts.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Neil -
You'll have to bleed the brakes manually - as these are dead ends in the system. This will take an extra appox 0.5L to the 3.5-4L figures mentioned above. There is no consequences overfilling the system - other than you get messy spots in your driveway.
You may find a description on brake bleeding procedure here :
http://citroenz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

Thanks Anders,
I had forgot the brakes would need bleeding. Good to renew the LHM in them anyway. I think I need to slacken off the hand brake cables, ever since I replaced them they sound like the brakes are binding/rubbing slightly. So bleeding the brakes will give me a good excuse to adjust the handbrake.
Neil
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

A word to the wise; I have been told previously that there are some places over there who still stock LHM (as opposed to LHM+)
The guy who mentioned it a while back (after I questioned the fact that his description didn't have the "+" on the end) told me it was quite commonly sold in Northern England/Southern Scotland region.
We were getting this in Australia until BP in their wisdom jacked the price up over 100% which caused us to go looking for another supplier whereupon we suddenly started getting the plus stuff, but to my understanding out here, BP are still supplying the straight.
I also understand that there are different properties between the LHM & LHM+ as far as lubricating & viscosity is concerned & Xantias must have the "+"
Brand is immaterial; just remember, it's only cheap s*** so Andy's price is about right. Don't get conned by the mega price stuff as it all comes out of the same tap!!
Alan S
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

Thanks Alan,
I am in North West England. If I spot any non + I will report back for interest.
When you say "it all comes out of the same tap" is that literal as in one company makes it all?
Neil
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Can't get to the bottom of that one. When I shaped up to BP in a battle royal a few years back, I had two pitiful excuses used by them.
That they had no option but to increase prices due to their overseas supplier jacking the prices up, followed by the manufacturing costs in Australia had risen!!
I would expect that as the base product apparently is some deviation from Aviation Hydraulic Fluid which in itself is almost a "throwaway" by product of oil refining processes, that it is possibly a cocktail of additives which is possibly patented by Total & who onsell it to oil companies who in turn mix it (like you would cordial with water,) with some liquid offal from the petrol refining process.
That's only a guess from what I can make of the stories we've been given over the years.
Possibly never know the truth; after all, 'honesty' & 'oil companies' aren't usually spoken in the same sentence are they??
Alan S
Jon

Post by Jon »

You can generally tell the difference between the various brands when its new out of the bottle
Total LHM+ a rich bright green (looks the best!!)
Bendix LHM+ a darker green
Morris LHM+ a very dull green with a curious smell!
So I guess that they all make it to their own formula. I have not seen any non LHM+ around for many years.
[:0]
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jon</i>

You can generally tell the difference between the various brands when its new out of the bottle
Total LHM+ a rich bright green (looks the best!!)
Bendix LHM+ a darker green
Morris LHM+ a very dull green with a curious smell!
So I guess that they all make it to their own formula. I have not seen any non LHM+ around for many years.
[:0]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Jon,
I would suspect the colouring would be just that; dye. They tell me it's a beige colour in its raw state but as regards the straight LHM I had a guy ask about the differences within the last 12 months from up Scotland way & according to him, where he was that was all that was available & the + stuff they had to order in.
I could understand using straight LHM here in the tropics but not in Scotland due to it being thicker than the + and therefore a potential starter for heavy steerings & slow suspensions in winter.
In reference to the dye in oils. I knew a guy a few years ago who worked for a garage who subsequently went broke (no surprises there when you hear this) because the type of top class priced oil they were selling was a particular unusual colour. Somehow this bod got hold of the dye that colour & used to mix it with the cheap oil & put it in his bottles on his driveway. Could explain why these days oil companies have the various oils in sealed plastic 1 litre containers.

Alan S