XANTIA HELP - Strange problem!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davygr22
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

XANTIA HELP - Strange problem!!

Post by davygr22 »

I have just returned from a week's holiday during which my 1999 Xantia HDi Exclusive has not been used.Upon starting the car I discovered that the following electrical systems have stopped functioning (they were all OK seven days back) ;

Heater Blower : Heated rear window & mirror heating : Electric seats & seat heaters.

I have checked all fuses in the passenger compartment fuse box & the underbonnet maxi fuses - all seem fine - power is OK at the maxi fuses,but not at the individual fuse connections for the above systems.
All other electrical systems are fully operational - is it possible that the ignition switch is faulty & if so how is it best checked?
If the ignition switch proves faulty,do you have to buy the complete unit including the lock barrel,or is the switch sold individually?

Thanks in anticipation,
David.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: XANTIA HELP - Strange problem!!

Post by CitroJim »

I'd say ignition switch was a good bet David...

Easy enough to check, slip off the steering wheel cowls and look at the three big connectors going to the switch. One is the starter solenoid but the other two should have +12v on both sides of them with the ignition in the normal running position.

I guess the switch will need replacing complete and that will mean new keys and coding to the CPH. However you might be able to swap over just the switch bits. I'm not sure but with care I'd have thought so..

Also, the switch contacts may have gone high resistance and cannot pass all the required current but there may be enough to operate a relay so the duff contacts can be bypassed with a relay as is often done with the S1 Xantia.

If you need any circuit diagrams to sort this then get in touch. I won't be able to provide them this evening though...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

I didn't think S2 cars sufferd the Burning out of the Ignition switch and they had the "Relay Mod" already fitted to take the heavy current from the ignition switch??

Are you in an area of Mice and rats??? Is there a chance they could of chewed a wire?? Heated window and mirrors are the same cuicuit, but seats too im not sure.. French Cableing also have habits of having poor quaility copper in them and it degrades and eventually breaks up causing a loss of feed!

Sounds like a break in the Main feed from the Maxi fuse under the bonnet to the fuse box in the car...

It takes a long journey... from the maxi fuse, through the passenger side inner wing, round the front across the car up between the drivers side wing and along to the car, entering through a "Massive Bolted Plug" behind a black cover below the drivers wiper arm control knuckle under the scuttle...

A mates HDi exclusive did this, no heated rear window and hazzards IIRC, and t wasn't ignition switch, it was loss of power to the fuse box...
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'd never say an S2 cannot ever suffer ignition switch failure Paul as a lot of current still traverses it. Not as likely as an S1 but still something to be excluded..
citroenxm wrote: Sounds like a break in the Main feed from the Maxi fuse under the bonnet to the fuse box in the car...
Yes indeed, a good possibility and a check for voltages on the ignition switch will soon confirm this diagnosis..

These diagrams of the S2 Climate (including blower) will help nail it down as it shows the ignition switch and the heavy wiring to and from it.

Climate Circuit

Harnesses

Locations

If there is a break in the wiring then it's likely to be in the 10PR harness that runs under the radiator. There's asome splices (joints) in the harness that can get damp and corrode open-circuit...

Hope that helps...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
davygr22
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by davygr22 »

Well - l've made some progress - on checking the three feed plugs to the ignition switch I discovered that the feed from the Maxi fusebox to the brown connector had no voltage & consequently the ignition switch could not distribute power to the relevant consumer circuits.I tested the switch by feeding it with power & everything except the blower is now operational.
I removed the blower unit & tested the motor direct - it runs at full speed - when power is routed via the connectors on the brown motor plug,the motor will not run - suspect the control module may be faulty.Power is present at all relevant fuses/relays etc.I plan to run a new power supply cable from fuse B on the maxi fusebox to the steering column brown plug feeding the ignition switch, to re-establish power to the ignition circuit.
It appears member 'CITROEN XM' was correct in his suggestion regarding a wiring break.........

Thanks to all who made suggestions,
David.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

davygr22 wrote: It appears member 'CITROEN XM' was correct in his suggestion regarding a wiring break.........

Good old Paul =D> his crystal ball is working very well at the moment :wink:
Jim

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

David did you check the blower fan through its control module while the engine was running ? The climate ECU will not under any circumstances run the blower fan when the engine is not running.

Similarly if the signal to the climate ECU that tells it the engine is running is missing it will not run the blower.

The climate ECU can be tested and diagnosed with a Lexia (including forcing it to operate the blower fan despite it believing the engine is not running) so if you get really stuck and know someone with a Lexia nearby you could always try that once you get the rest of the problem sorted.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
davygr22
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by davygr22 »

Problem now solved ! I had to run a new 40amp cable from the Maxi fuse box fuse B, which feeds the brown two pin connector on the ignition switch - I could not find where the failure was on the original cable.As any of you who have worked on a Xantia will know,there are no easy access holes through the bulkhead panel to feed extra wires - I was able to drill a 8mm hole beside the bonnet release cable entry point & fit a grommet for the new cable to enter the passenger compartment. This was then spliced to the original brown connector feeding the ignition switch & I now have all electrical functions restored - I did replace the blower resistor as a preventative measure also.

Great to have it all operating correctly again!!

Thanks to all who helped with suggestions............
David. :-D
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Brill .. nice one.. breaks in wires are becoming more common as the reality of using a lower spec or quality wire or wires for the harness's come to light and the copper starts breaking down and rotting away..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto