new to diesel xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dowen

new to diesel xantia

Post by dowen »

hello gentlemen, I have a 2000 2lt hdi xantia, my experience with diesels is very limited,
The car is brilliant and sometimes I have to check myself for going over 90mph! Suspension is fine and I cant really fault the car.

Problem is, lately its sometimes does not start on the button, this morning I almost drained the battery, other times it start first time.
Battery is good.
It feels like its not getting fuel ¬ when its running it perfect not missing or running lumpy.
Can someone tell me where to start!
Also, when I turn the ignition there's a sort of low frequency noise from the back, sounds like under the car, this stops after about 3 seconds!

Many thanks Dave.
kentc5
My Cars:

Re: new to diesel xantia

Post by kentc5 »

Are you sure this noise is not the fuel pump .. which I would assume it is normal, it pressurises/primes the system in order to start.
Have you checked the diesel filter in the engine bay? ie change it?

I have the Xantia 2.0HDi 110 my self and I think they are brilliant cars :) :)
Current Cars:
Citroen Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive ('98)
Alfa Romeo 166 2.0TS ('03)
Audi A6 C6 2.4 V6 SE ('05)
BMW 735i Individual M-Pack ('00)
Lexus GS300SE Navigator ('98)
Toyota Prius T-Spirit ('04)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Yes, the noise is the fuel pump - listen out for this before cranking, if it's not there, and then it won't start, then you can be pretty sure the pump is away (or the power supply is gone dicky). Just had to fit a new one to a couple of weeks ago: pump change out
Richard W
dowen

Post by dowen »

Thanks for your replies,
I think what I have been doing is not letting the pump prime! Until recently the engine fired up straight away.Its now taking 3 or 4 seconds before the pump stops.
Could this be indicative of a geriatric pump?
I suppose during cranking there would not be enough currant available to run the pump and pressurise the system! Does this make sense?

What's the norm time for the pump to pressurise?

Many thanks for your help.

Regards Dave.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If the pump stops it should start. These do need to turn over fast, if the battery or starter are below par it can cause problems. The high pressure pumps can fail but that usually makes it more difficult to start when hot. I would also suggest you change the fuel filter.

Peter
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

A good working hdi will start irrespective of the time the lift pump in the tank has run for.. as long as the lift pump starts as soon as there's power to it then it would go..

taking a few seconds longer indicate a couple of things to look for.. as mentioned.. is the starter turning over fast enough??

if it is then it can be a couple of things which only a lexia diagnostic may only be able to point to you, as there's a fair few more things on a hdi over a td that the engine needs to start..

there's two pressure units.. there's a fuel pressure regulator on the end of the pump that regulates the out put.. these can play up and give out a lower output.. the Ecu will not fire the injectors until it sees the fuel rail at a set pressure if its too low it won't go.. there's a pressure sensor screwed into the bottom of the fuel rail these can also play up.. they unscrew.. don't worry its self sealing while the sensor is out...

so if you are getting fuel and the starter is spinning fast enough id be looking at these two items next.. the fuel rail sensor is available on its own.. the pump pressure regulator which is on the end of the engine pump directly left of the fuel filter pointing downwards with a plug in it is available on its own however it is now cheaper to buy a whole pump with the regulator in it.. a pump can be had for 80 to 100 quid the regulator on its own upwards of 170 quid new...

ive never had to put heater plugs in a hdi in the UK.. and the few ive been involved with including my own at 224k have always started first time even in the cold spell a few weeks ago...
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

In this cold weather I'd check the positive and negative battery terminals. Do they feel hot after cranking? Its a known fault for the positive to fail or partially fail and in the cold the engine just takes that bit longer to start. Both have failed in mine.
Check this thread
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=38273" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chris
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
lurchy666
My Cars: citroen c5 hdi 2.2 auto estate

Post by lurchy666 »

definattly check your battery leads, my slow turning over was the positive terminal melted all the cables into one big lump, replaced them all with pre made leads from halfords(very cheap for battery leads) and its been fine since
c5 2.2 auto hdi estate 52 reg
dowen

Post by dowen »

Many thanks for all your help.
Problem was pump, I fitted a new one this morning (£56 ebay)
now it just gives a quiet muffled buzz, instead of a loud unhealthy noise! I was lucky to get back home 100miles or so, when it just gave out on my doorstep.
Thanks again. Dave.