c5 low oil pressure

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

holmedog
My Cars:

c5 low oil pressure

Post by holmedog »

Hi anybody know what the low oil pressure on a c5 1.6 hdi vtr could be. I have just bought the car and when i come to slow down to stop display flashes up with low oil pressure does it mean ought serious.
Gun Metal Grey Activa turbo,R.I.P. Gone to scrap yard in the sky and jims garage
Blue Activa from dr.madvibe
Silver Activa lost soul
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Generally it's a sign of low oil level.
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Re: c5 low oil pressure

Post by Ben82 »

Possibly one of three things, and worth checking in the following order:
  • low oil, check the dipstick to see if you need more oil.
  • the Oil Pressure switch is faulty (I had this on my V6), looks like yours has the same one. 1131.C5 is the part number, and is about a tenner (e.g eBay), and is fairly easy to do yourself if you have the tools.
  • Actually has low oil pressure, only way to determine is with a pressure gauge (think it needs to go in where the oil pressure switch is) to test it.
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
blackbeard
My Cars:

Post by blackbeard »

First check would be that you have enough oil (and it is the right type, clean, and flowing). Is the vehicle a high miler? Has it had a recent service? Is it burning oil? Is it squirting oil from a leaking seal/hose/whatever. Dozens of simple things to check before you poke a bit deeper.

If any basic checks dont give you an indication you may have a bigger issue. Unless you have the DIY mechanical knowledge and tools / or know a man who does (and he is also willing to work for pies and beer) you are headed for some potentially massive garage bills to investigate and then fix. Low oil pressure lamps coming on can indeed be caused by many things - some easy fixes, but in my experience it has always said 'engine shagged', or to be more politically correct, 'uneconomical engine repair required'.

As you say you have just bought the car chances are the owner knew big bills were due and saw you coming. If you bought from a dealer send it back. If the car was an auction buy or a fleabay find it goes with the terroritory. These cars are now too complex for all but the most competent home mechanic to fix with any confidence (and without affecting some sensor or electrical component elsewhere and starting the whole BS off again).

Sorry to be so negative, but my experience in these matters has always, without exception, been negative.

PS,
I have spent more on my 2002 C5 in the last couple of years than the last 2 cars I have previously owned combined.
Current French machine:
2002 Citroen C5 2.0 16v Automatic (petrol)

Previous French machines (all auction finds):
2000 Citroen Xantia 1.8 16v (petrol)
1999 Peugeot 206 'Roland-Garos'
1998 Renault Laguna 1.8 8v (petrol)
1992 Renault 21 2.0 8v (petrol saloon)
holmedog
My Cars:

Post by holmedog »

Have recently done full service including an oil change filter and flush but still getting low engine oil pressure warning on when stopping at lights and junctions or even slowing down to below 1100 revs. Then it goes off if I rev it steady at about 1000 but if I allow it to go below that it comes on again. Think I will try changing censor next.
Gun Metal Grey Activa turbo,R.I.P. Gone to scrap yard in the sky and jims garage
Silver Activa lost soul
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

Certainly sounds like the sensor if you've been driving it around for 5 months without it causing mechanical damage :)
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Is the engine unusually noisy ? If the oil pressure is actually low enough set off the warning I would think there would be signs of unusual mechanical noise when its idling, like noisy lifters/tappets etc... not necessarily though so absence of noise doesn't mean its ok.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I've learnt a lot about the 1.6 in recent months. Your oil pickup is possibly blocked due to loose injectors crudding up the oil.
Bick

Re:

Post by Bick »

addo wrote:I've learnt a lot about the 1.6 in recent months. Your oil pickup is possibly blocked due to loose injectors crudding up the oil.
could well be!

also not using decent oil or lack of changes can do the same.

need to remove the sump and check this - may be full of sludge :shock:
holmedog
My Cars:

Post by holmedog »

Thanks for all your input will look at all possible solutions. Diesel may be great on fuel but i would have my Activa back in a flash. But sadly she is in bits all over ebay now.
Silver Activa lost soul
JoaoDSF
New User
My Cars: Citroen C5 estate II.
Peugeot 2008 I

Post by JoaoDSF »

Hello.

I apologize if I am in the wrong subject post. Please correct me to the right one.

I have a Citroen C5 II estate 1.6 hdi 110bhp and for the past 2 months I got it stopped 6 times. 3 of them for oil pressure low and the other 3 for ESP fault and low oil pressure fault forward by engine cut off. I got it back on by disconnecting the battery, wait a while and then plug back in. But as it was still failing in the income times the battery tip wasn't becoming the best option if you were in the rush to come to work or coming back from it as I had to attempt to do it more than once to finally start the engine.
The last time it failed and tried to start again was after roughly 5 times disconnecting the battery and plug back in, and ironically I decided to go to my tool box in the car trunk and grabbed a screwdriver to open the fuse box under the bonnet, I let the trunk door close too strong and before going to the engine bay I gave another engine start, it worked, engine was running like nothing happens, obviously because it was cut off by those errors.

Well, I decided to book a full scan of the car in the garage near by my house. They said it would take around 1h test. After that they called me saying they were struggling to communicate to ECU and when they managed they got a glow plug issue and a ABS system but also said it wasn't related to the above error but recommended to go to Citroen itself because they had the proper software for it.
Obviously I am trying to not go because it might be something like cable/sensor/worn fuse related and if I go to Citroen I might come back without clothes. I want to have a look by myself like check the ECU connectivity for start or even look At the trunk door cause it was how it started after close it last time but I want to hear your area of expertise of what could be the issue of this car, I appreciate the help.
I am still running the car hoping to not failing again and by the way it happens when the car is cold .

I appreciate any help you might find.
Have a great day

Kind regards

João Ferreira