C5 2.2 Hdi - DPF removal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KevMayer
My Cars:

C5 2.2 Hdi - DPF removal

Post by KevMayer »

I've got a working copy of ECUSAFE. (also got Lexia).

I've got a Galletto cable.

I've got spanners and a masonry drill bit.

So, now what do I do?
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
Lighty
My Cars:

Re: C5 2.2 Hdi - DPF removal

Post by Lighty »

You plug into the DL16 socket, and take a copy of the ecu files onto your laptop. Obviously you need to check that your ecu is listed on the program.
Within ecu safe, you tick the box for DPF removal, and then load the modified file back on to the ecu.
Then split the DPF from the exhaust on the car, and chisel the honeycomb from the dpf and bolt it back together.
Think that is about it.
P.S. its best to clear all fault codes on the Lexia before modifying the ECU files.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

So, does this sound about right?

Connect Lexia and clear fault codes.

Then conect Galletto cable and run ECUSAFE. Download ECU software from ECU to laptop.

Modify ECU software to remove DPF references by simply ticking the box against the 'DPF/FAP' tick box and choose 'Citroen Bosch EDC15' from the list in ECUSAFE.

Upload modified file from laptop back to ECU.

On the physical side take off the DPF housing and smash the DPF to pieces to completely clear out all the ceramc matrix.

Do I need to have a battery charger connected across the battery to guarantee a good voltage. Probaby not. The high voltage of a battery charger would probably cause the Galletto to fail to upload.

I think I'll give the battery an overnight charge first (I'm not driving my C5 much at the moment, so, it probably could do with a charge).

Put the exhaust back together and take my C5 for a spin.
Cheers, Kev

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Sounds about right, we do connect our charger whilst downloading etc, thing is ours is a special one for the purpose. I would connect another running car via jump leads if unsure, but a fully charged battery should be ok, its just if it goes into ECO mode, wouldnt be good :(.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Thanks for the help.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Cheers, Kev

Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Post by Monkeyfeet »

I'm a bit paranoid over the battery voltage getting too low, so I connect a low output charger (2 amp) across the battery, the voltage across the battery gets to around that as if the engine was running, no more.
Only issue I had was undoing the pipework to the pressure sensor, I think that just meant disconnecting a hose instead - but still not a big prob.
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

I've remove the DPF from my exhaust and am trying to remove DPF from the ECU software using ECUSAFE, but, I can't see how to extract the file from the car's ECU to my laptop. I have version 2.0 of ECUSAFE and it looks like it's obvious how to use it to work on a file which is already extracted, but, how do you get the file to the laptop in the first place and, then, how do you send it back to the car at the end?
Cheers, Kev

KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

I've found out how to do it.

To extract the ECU file from the car I use the software provided with the Galletto cable along with the Galletto cable.

i then use ECUSAFE software to modify the ECU file to remove references to the DPF. This modified file is saved on my laptop.

I then use the Galetto cable and software to upload the modified file back to the car's ECU.

I had thought that ECUSAFE worked directly with the Galleto cable but it doesn't. Getting the file to and from the car's ECU is done by using the Galletto cable with it's own software.

I will keep a copy of the original ECU file as a backup.
Cheers, Kev

KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Software now updated and the modified file is now squirted into the ECU.

I checked with my Lexia and got a fault saying 'Cat upstream temperature sensor shorted to positive or open circuit'.

I wandered if I'd accidently damaged the sensor but, i'd been very careful. So, I used the Galletto cable and software to squirt the original file back into the ECU.

Tried the Lexia again and, with the original file back in the ECU, the 'Cat temp sensor' fault had dissapeared. The Cat temp sensor fault must be a feature of the DPF removal from the ECU file.

I squirted the modified file ( no dpf ) into the ECU and went for a run. I just took it easy at slow speed for now to see if any alarms came up. All was ok. My C5 ran well. It was smooth and seemed like it will accelerate nicely.
Cheers, Kev

wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Lighty wrote: I would connect another running car via jump leads if unsure, but a fully charged battery should be ok, its just if it goes into ECO mode, wouldnt be good :(.
Although it is a good idea for stopping the battery voltage going low a battery charger or jump leads wont prevent the car going into ECO mode, only the latest model C5's does battery charge have anything to do with the triggering of eco mode. Even if it does go into eco mode I don't think it would cause any problems, Lexia had full communication with the ECU when eco mode is active.
philthyD
My Cars:

Post by philthyD »

I have lexia, and my access code to BSI,
I have disabled DPF and additive function in the config menus,
and now im getting every error code possible for additive function from the ecu, but no DPF codes I'm wondering if I remove the additive ECU physically and in the config (if possible) that it will no longer think I have dpf.

although to try this I would need to know where the additive ECU is and whether there would be any adverse consequences in removing it?

or do I HAVE to get a re-map?
'01 Cit C5 2.2HDI SX +toys *rescued and undergoing dpf removal*'95

Nissan micra*crashed*
'96 Nissan micra*crashed*
1979 Datsun Cherry*sold*
'95 306 Dt *written off*
'97 306 Dt *aux belt destroyed timing belt, dead*
'98 306 Dt *part ex'd*
'99 406 2.0HDI exec est *dead*
Diabolical
My Cars:

Post by Diabolical »

A friend of mine removed DPF and after topped up eolys tank with diesel.
06 C5 2.0L HDi Exclusive Estate 20020k and rising. :-)
1987 Citroen CX Prestige. De Corps Brun Maya - cuir blond tabac, très chic
08 Jaguar X-Type 3.0V6 Sovereign Estate - Green (HGZ) - Leather Ivory seats.

citroencx.co.uk
triumphtoledo

Post by triumphtoledo »

Not trying to be a smart ar*se but it is illegal to run a de-FAP'd car on the road - and passing the MoT Test's smoke opacity does not mean that the emissions are legal.

You should also inform your insurance company - some providers will refuse to even cover the car come renewal time though.

I await an onslaught of replies but i have been researching this matter for work for the past 5 weeks and have concluded that my C5 facelift will retain its FAP...

R
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Are you going to tattle on anyone here who does it?
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I am sure he would not, just like you would not bowl underarm to win a game :mrgreen: :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting