Height corrector and anti roll bracket

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

John Plum
My Cars:

Height corrector and anti roll bracket

Post by John Plum »

Concerning my Xantia TD estate, I wonder how to set the rear anti roll bracket to the height corrector, since replacing with new, and freeing up the turrets/linkages having first removed the unit, without removing the height corrector itself.

I set the control rod pin into the centre of the square hole of the actuating lever whilst set to normal ride height.
The spring of the antirollbar automatic linkage rests against the actuating lever in a groove.

However, the rear won't rise. It remains stuck on low, which was the case whilst the linkages were seized, beforehand.

I've checked fluid levels, bled whilst decompressed and, performed Citroebics.

Could the height corrector itself be seized?
How could I test the height corrector?
Do I need to set the antirollbar clamp and dog one attachment to linkage, whilst the car is on ramps (I.e. the wheels bear weight and I can get underneath)?

I imagine the automatic height controller link wouldn't stop the car from rising, when incorrectly set, but maybe that's wrong.

Your wonderful advice is greatly appreciated.
John
John Plum
Xantia II Estate,1999, 2.0 HDI LX, 17000 miles, manual
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: Height corrector and anti roll bracket

Post by citroenxm »

John..

you need the rear of the car on some large ramps.. the wheels MUST be in contact with the ground so the height can activate correctly..

height correctors DO NOT sieze themselves .. you will find its simple the anti roll bar clamp is not set correctly .. it doesn't need a lot of movement to make the car lift or fall..

the height corrector linkage must be connected via the nylon dog bone for the height to be set correctly which then while the rear end is on the rampshave the clamp loose and rotate it on the anti roll bar.. it will be Stiff to move.. once the car moves to the correct height tighten up the 11mm bolt on the clamp...
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

@citroxm many thanks for the tip - which confirms what I suspected; that I need ramps to finish the job. Also, thanks for informing clearly how to set it - with engine running I presume on medium/normal setting.

I see you have a few XMs by choice. They seem an attractive car to me. I'll think about one for my next car.
John Plum
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

John Plum wrote: I see you have a few XMs by choice. They seem an attractive car to me. I'll think about one for my next car.
:-D :-D Ummm.. NOT all for selling either..

Im going to finish and sort out my new latest SD 2.1 TD manual XM and use for a short while while I iorn any issues out, then may offer it out. However, theres a First Refusal member sitting and waiting on that.

The V6 24v Manual XM will stay with me... Of course.
The 2.1 SED Manual is another to stop with me I think.
The V6 SEi Auto on LPG will probably go after a lot of Resto work on her.

I do have one other 2.1 D Base model on a J plate.. Idealy was gonna be a donar to for the SED as they are the same colour. I started this Base D last week, after the heavy snow and cold weather she started and ran after TWO attempts to start. She needs a lot of work, but if XM Manual Diesel demand gets stronger then Ill restore...

Anyway..... those are other stories..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

Rear suspension nicely done, thanks!

I'm happy to keep the Xantia going as my vehicle for now. But.....looking ahead, Thanks for the XM consideration . I'll just enjoy reading a bit about them first.
John Plum