C5 2001 SX Supension pump not running

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

slimboyfatt

C5 2001 SX Supension pump not running

Post by slimboyfatt »

Hi all,

I'm getting a "Serious suspension fault" error on the display, big 'X' over the car height graphic if I use the height adjusters -the car is (fortunately) in the middle/normal position so is still driveable. The pump doesnt activate when I open the door/s but the no8 (40amp) maxi fuse seems ok. Any ideas guys? I want to sell the car doubt I can with this problem!

Cheers,

Slim
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: C5 2001 SX Supension pump not running

Post by Peter.N. »

Check for voltage across the pump motor when it should be running, if you have 12v the pump is faulty.

Peter
Philjw
My Cars:

Post by Philjw »

Check out the maxi fuse too - plenty of posts on how to find the maxi fuse board if you search. I have a 50 amp in place of the 40 amp original. Wrong I know but so far it does the trick when the 40 amp blows
Phil

05 C5 Estate 2.0 16v + 05 C4 Hatchback 2.0 16V
kettlesimon

Post by kettlesimon »

I had a similar error message as i was driving 3 weeks ago. I pulled the car over safely, by which time some of the LDS fluid had ignited and caused damage to the wiring harness and headlight. Fire was put out as quickly as possible. Car still with garage, but was diagnosed as suspension pump failure, which then overheated causing the fire. I would get the pump checked out before driving any further.
2004 C5 Estate 2.0 HDi
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

kettlesimon wrote:by which time some of the LDS fluid had ignited and caused damage to the wiring harness and headlight
Very fortunate that you pulled over promptly, rather than promising to check it out when you got home
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
slimboyfatt

Post by slimboyfatt »

Thanks for the replies chaps. I took the maxi fuse out and checked that, seemed ok. Is it possible for a maxi fuse to look ok but still be defective? Is there any other fuses that are linked to the system? I'll try and check the voltage and connections next. I have a voltage meter so should be able to figure it out. Funnily enough I had to up the fuse rating on the window/door console functions after it repeatedly blew 15amp fuses. Seems to be a consistent thing with citoen/c5s. If it catches fire, I'm gonna let the thing burn! Ha ha..er...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

At the age of your car it's most likely the suspension pump failing, the electric motors get contaminated with water then the copper wiring inside turns to blue yuck (copper sulphate) and the circuit breaks, some can be repaired if they're not too far gone, the motor unbolts from the pump but I don't think you can buy it separately, I've repaired a few.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
slimboyfatt

Post by slimboyfatt »

Oh dear, sounds like this is gonna be painful and/or expensive. Can the motor be disconnected from the pump without depressurizing/draining the system. Sorry if thats a stupid question...

Faint glimmer of hope?: If the motor's b*ggered would the fuse not have blown? The fuse seems intact.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

slimboyfatt wrote:If the motor's b*ggered would the fuse not have blown?
Not necessarily - if it's failed as Gibbo suggests, by corroding of the wires, then no reason for the fuse to blow Sorry :(

Fuse would blow if there'd been excess current draw, say if the feed wire had shorted to earth (or maybe if motor/pump had seized)
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If a fuse has failed (as opposed to having blown) the wire can appear to be OK visually, but is not electrically sound (say, for example, becoming detached at one end where you cannot see it). The only reliable way to check a fuse is to test it (either with a multimeter or a fuse tester). I have seen a fuse where the wire had become loose at one end and it looked OK, but the meter said no. I then tapped the fuse a couple of times, and could see vibration, so it hit the bin and a new fuse was fitted. Problem solved. It was (probably) just a weak fuse, and the equipment didn't have any problems after that.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Unfortunately repairing the pump is an on the bench job, it's not possible to strip it in situ. I see there are a couple of used ones on Ebay, put Citroen C5 in the 'Vehicles parts and accesories' category search.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
slimboyfatt

Post by slimboyfatt »

Pump up the volume! Couldn't believe that the thing started working tonight for the first time in a while and not showing any errors on the display during a 30 mile trip. I'm not confident it wont recur in the morning but while it seemed ok I ran it through a few raise/lower cycles - no odd noises. If its ok in the morning I'll top up the lds if it needs then at the w/e (if it makes it that far) take a look and clean up the connections maybe stick in a shiny new fuse. Any other tips welcome. Thanks for all your advice guys as I'm fully expecting to need it but for now...fingers crossed!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Perhaps removing and replacing the fuse did it, a bit of corrosion limiting the current.
The blade fuses can develop hairline cracks that are invisible to the naked eye but won't pass current, perhaps flexing it has allowed it to work for a while.