Xantia questions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mirafioriman

Xantia questions

Post by mirafioriman »

As some of you know I currently run a very early Xantia 1.9 diesel which is a simple old girl with very little in the way of electronics etc.

I know the newer Xantias have much more in the way of electronics, but how much and what?

For example, electrovalves on the suspension. Do all the series 2 Xantias have these rather than the traditional height corrector? Do exclusive models have much more of these types of electronic items or are they common across the range?

Which models have the hydroactive suspension and which don't?

Sorry for all the questions but if I do upgrade to an HDi at some point I would like to be more aware of the differences :)
Former Proud owner of a 1994 Citroen Xantia 1.9d and BX 19RD

Now driving an Alfa 159 but god I miss the Xantia!
MTND
My Cars: Xantia 1.9td sx early N reg 1995. owned 17 years!
Alfa Romeo 916 Spider 2005.
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017, Nearly done 300 miles

Re: Xantia questions

Post by MTND »

superloopy wrote:
mirafioriman wrote:As some of you know I currently run a very early Xantia 1.9 diesel which is a simple old girl with very little in the way of electronics etc .....

Sorry for all the questions but if I do upgrade to an HDi at some point I would like to be more aware of the differences :)
Don't :)

I agree keep, you've got a good car there Mirafioriman and in the best colour as well!
What spec is it and how many miles?
Mines a SX with 155k miles on as well and white is by far the best colour, shows off the shape well not delaminating of the boot paintwork!!

Regards
Mark
1995 Xantia 1.9 TD SX owned 17 years
Alfa Romeo 916 GTV Spider 2005
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017
mirafioriman

Post by mirafioriman »

Mine's an LX but it's now debadged and has front foglamps, VSX wood trim on the dash, an electronic speedo conversion and series 2 black exclusive electric leather. I do love it dearly! It's done about 155,000 miles I think.

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

be even better to go backwards to a BX, im running a red K reg TZD estate, even simpler than any XANT, even the height corrector linkages are less complicated
i still own an R REG 1.9TD estate on semi temporary permanent loan to Richard ( Handyman )
Last edited by citronut on 26 Jan 2013, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
mirafioriman

Post by mirafioriman »

I've had a BX, they're great too :)

I've seen a few on ebay but they're often too dear or too far away (I'm trying not to spend money at the moment!)

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I am running an HDi, and she has 6 spheres, mechanically adjusted. I am getting her back into proper order, but I wouldn't go back to a BX (although I did enjoy that car).

There are more electronics, but she is quiet and economical (I have got over 55MPG on a careful motorway run).
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 26 Jan 2013, 22:29, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

LX and SX have 6 spheres
VSX/Exclusive have 8 spheres, hydractive suspension meaning the electrovalves cut out the 2 soft spheres which leaves the stiffer than SX/LX corner spheres giving better handling.
Activa have 10 spheres, the extra 2 are on the anti roll bars making it stiffer when the spheres are cut out
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
mirafioriman

Post by mirafioriman »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:I am running an HDi, and she has 6 spheres, mechanically adjusted. I am getting her back into proper order, but I wouldn't go back to a BX (although I did enjoy that car).

There are more electronics, but she is quiet and economical (I have got over 55MPG on a careful motorway run).
Mine is a 1.9d (non turbo) and roughly I reckon it has averaged 52 to the gallon in the last 465 miles. The first 25 miles were short town journeys from cold and the other mileage a run to Birmingham and back with an overnight stop and the return journey in the recent bad weather.

I do notice that in the winter it doesn't do as many miles to the gallon as in the summer and of course it's not that fast :oops:

MTND
My Cars: Xantia 1.9td sx early N reg 1995. owned 17 years!
Alfa Romeo 916 Spider 2005.
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017, Nearly done 300 miles

Xantia Questions

Post by MTND »

mirafioriman wrote:Mine's an LX but it's now debadged and has front foglamps, VSX wood trim on the dash, an electronic speedo conversion and series 2 black exclusive electric leather. I do love it dearly! It's done about 155,000 miles I think.
Mines a SX and I generally try and keep it original but I do have a VSX spec radio and have purchased a 10 CD changer that compliments my Sony Xperia T. :-D
1995 Xantia 1.9 TD SX owned 17 years
Alfa Romeo 916 GTV Spider 2005
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

mirafioriman wrote:
Hell Razor5543 wrote:I am running an HDi, and she has 6 spheres, mechanically adjusted. I am getting her back into proper order, but I wouldn't go back to a BX (although I did enjoy that car).

Mine is a 1.9d (non turbo) and roughly I reckon it has averaged 52 to the gallon in the last 465 miles. The first 25 miles were short town journeys from cold and the other mileage a run to Birmingham and back with an overnight stop and the return journey in the recent bad weather.

I do notice that in the winter it doesn't do as many miles to the gallon as in the summer and of course it's not that fast :oops:
DO IT!!

The HDi is a FANTASTIC leap forward.. 8v, nice and simple.. One of the BEST HDi engines about.. The next best one is the 2.0 16v on the Facelift S1.5 C5's..

Anyway.. the Xantia only got the 2.0 8v HDi in 90 or 110 guises...

ONLY Exclusives have Hydractive.. LX and SX have standrd suspension which is absolutley NO Different to original LX and SX S1 models with anti sink..

The 8v hdi is a VERY VERY reliable engine and is better long lived then the XUD.. Head gaskets and air locks are virtually unknown, and they will and DO easyilly run past 200k on original head gaskets with no issues! My own is on 232k and from what I can see is all original with NO issues!

A Lexia is not needed as much as with a C5 for them, Ive swapped Xantia HDi injectors, pumps etc etc with NO issues or needing to connect Lexia to code anything... A light foot will see 55mpg, with a nice chunk of Torque from 1500 to 2300k, and nice it is too, and even better with a tuning box, which doesnt really effect economy that much...

its an extreamilly refined unit, and rather quiet, and much quieter then VAG's TDi 1.9/2.0 engines...

Unfortunally, even in S2 cars the useual weakness's are still there, heater matrix's can leak like S1 cars, rear height corrector units can and so sieze, rear body rust is hit n miss, rear passenger panel and rear door jambs, upper cills can rust badly.. however, I found the cause of this in a posting in the sicky section at the top of the fourm..

Strut tops seem to appear to have a longer life and dont rot away as quickly..

HDi Rads dont rot away like S1 XUD rads, and are long lived too... mines still like new at 232k...

Radio remote PLIP not infra red, fitted to all models, meaning it doesn't need a direct aim to open and can be opened from in yur pocket by mistake...
Traffic master a complete arse, but a small negative really
All LX and SX have front fog lights and ABS and Air Con fitted (Exclusives too, but left them out)
LX has Velour, SX has suede that wears out on the drivers suab, but have a centre front arm rest
So far Im YET to see an SX with 90bhp engine, however ALL Exclusives have the 110 engine.
LX models can have either 90 or 110bhp
SX models ONLY have rear spoiler as standard, but NO sunroof unless fitted by option from new, which is rare. I think some FCF owners have an SX S2 with sunroof.. Air Con is left in even with a sunroof..
Only VERY late cars got the side airbags, from around late 1999/2000 (W, X and Y reg cars)
Y reg Xantia HDi's fall into the cheaper rate of road tax, for example my Exclusive is a V 1999, and is 120 odd quid for 6 months tax, where my Mums is a Y reg HDi 110, and hers is around 78 quid for 6 months.. Y reg HDi's are rare though..

Im a big S2 fan really, and Ive had a fair few S1 cars with TD...

Anything else.. Ask.. :wink:
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Gracie is a Forte model (otherwise known as LX), has front fogs, drivers' arm rest, side airbags (alright, one of the ECUs isn't talking to the main ECU, hence side airbag warning light), Velour seating, and isn't bad. The HDi engine is quiet, economical, and damned good (as it is still in use today). I had a BX with a 1.9 XUD engine (no turbo), and while I did like that car, I wouldn't go back.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!