Noisy and flapping auxiliary belt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

marrittm

Noisy and flapping auxiliary belt

Post by marrittm »

Hello, my issue is as follows; I have a xsara Picasso 2L hdi 2002, it has had all of the following replaced, crankshaft pulley, x3 spring loaded tensioners, power steering pump x2 idle pulley tensioner and a few new belts. My problem is that even with all these changes the serpentine belt flaps like crazy at idle, I have heard problems with alternator clutch pulleys that can cause issues when faulty but after checking mine has solid pulley. 1 thing I noticed today is that when I put my rear heated screen on the belt got worse and same thing happened with any load added. My first thought would be alternator but I do not get any electrical failure or any other warning signs, but again today I had a very slight burning smell in cabin like a rubbery smell. I'm now at my lowest trying to identify why the belt flaps it's that bad that the tensioner vibrates and makes noise. I don't mind changing alternator if it cures problem but I just can throw any money at car anymore. Has anyone had this issue or had this issue as I would love some feedback if poss.

Thank you

P.S. can I get 1 of these freewheel alternator pulleys fitted in place of the solid one I have now if so where would I get 1.
oneday
My Cars:

Re: Noisy and flapping auxiliary belt

Post by oneday »

are you sure the belt is the correct lenth and you have not been supplied with the wrong belt
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
marrittm

Post by marrittm »

Hello thank you for reply, yes I have made sure its the correct belt I checked with main dealer, also I have even tried a 5 mm downsized belt but the same problem persisted . I have replaced everything but alternator and a/c compressor.
mirafioriman

Post by mirafioriman »

I'd check the replacements you have fitted (or had fitted by someone else?) are in serviceable order. Even if they are new they could be faulty or incorrectly supplied/fitted. Is the belt correctly tensioned when the engine is stationary?
Former Proud owner of a 1994 Citroen Xantia 1.9d and BX 19RD

Now driving an Alfa 159 but god I miss the Xantia!
marrittm

Post by marrittm »

All parts have been recently checked by local garage, they even swapped out parts to see if any difference. The belt tension when stationary is perfect so tensioner is doing job, the flapping is between the alternator and crank pulley ( longest part), all parts are new (within 6 months) and in good condition. I'm just wondering if fitting a alternator clutch pulley would make a difference.
mirafioriman

Post by mirafioriman »

Is the belt correctly routed? These belts with so many pulleys can be 'interesting' to re-fit if you haven't drawn a diagram! I guess if the alternator or pulley is faulty you would be able to tell if the belt was removed.

marrittm

Post by marrittm »

Yes the belt routed fine, I did check the alternator pulley but as it was a solid pulley it seemed fine no play and free. It's so annoying now I have even swapped out parts from a family members Picasso and same issue but again I didn't change alternator.
mirafioriman

Post by mirafioriman »

I guess if the alternator is the only thing that hasn't been changed then try changing that!

marrittm

Post by marrittm »

It seems the only option left, just wandered if anyone else has had these issue.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have had it on a C5 but as previously mentioned it was because the belt was to long. You can't rely on the motor factors information its often wrong. If the tensioner has plenty of movement to take up the slack I would think it must be something to do with the alternator pulley. Does it do it at all speeds?

Peter
marrittm

Post by marrittm »

No it's only at idle soon as you give it some gas it's ok, I did try 5mm downsized belt to see what happened but that same problem occurred.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Mmm, I still think it could be the belt, 5mm is neither here nor there on a belt of that length, I shortened mine by somewhat more than that and although its OK now I suspect if it stretches/wears it will start slapping again.

Peter