C4 1.6hdi loss of power

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

johntom

C4 1.6hdi loss of power

Post by johntom »

Hi my wife's c4 1.6 hdi. 2005. Suddenly lost power whilst driving along at about 30mph. She said it seemed to make a wurring noise as it happened. The car still starts and drives, the auxiliary belt is intact, there isn't any smoke and the coolant is there, also no warning lights on the dash? Any ideas where to start?
Just to add only fault code on lexia is p1351 heater relay circuit which has always been there.
johntom

Re: C4 1.6hdi loss of power

Post by johntom »

Just had another look and there seems to be a noise from the cold side of the turbo, having removed the inlet hose there does seem to be a fair bit of up/down movement on the end shaft? Is this normal or would this explain the lack of power?
Thanks
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

That's turbocharger as in turbine-supercharger. They whistle when running because they belt round at several 10's of thousands of revs. They have to be in perfect balance with no slack at all in the (plain) bearings, pressure lubricated by the engine. If the turbo bearings go - lots of oil pees out either down the exhaust system or into the inlet (or both). If there's slack in the turbo bearings and no loss of oil, then the supply is blocked and needs fixing first.

You need a new turbo. :(
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
johntom

Post by johntom »

Hi
there was evidence of oil in the right hand end of the turbo when i moved the hose on the air box side to check for play. If the oil supply is blocked how do I locate the blockage and is the supply line the metal hose on top on the turbo unit?

just been around the block and the car drove perfectly, then after about a mile it lost power (presumably after it warmed a little) and started to whistle and whine. With the bonnet up there is the occassional clatter from the turbo as well when revved.
Many thanks
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Sounds like it would be best not to drive, you may cause the turbo to completely fail and enter the engine, not good.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami