Xantia Hdi 110 Cambelt Change Help?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

olliewarwick1

Xantia Hdi 110 Cambelt Change Help?

Post by olliewarwick1 »

Hi All,

I have a V reg Xantia Hdi 110 that needs a new cambelt and water pump (not gone but advised it should be changed at the same time) about 5,000 miles ago so it really does need changing. Although I do the majority of the maintainence myself, this would be the first cambelt I've changed and so could really do with some/a lot of hands on guidance. All that said I would like to do it myself if possible as it does interest me and keeps the cost down.

So my request is this, I'm after a friendly and experienced chap that wouldn't mind guiding me through this process either at my house or their garage/home garage (although all of my tools are fairly basic). I will obviously pay for your time and maybe even throw in a beer :)

I'm just keen to give it a go but really don't want to cock it up, especially as essentially it's my only car but it does need doing rather soon.

I'm happy to travel within reason, I'm based in Guildford to give you an idea and I'm looking at doing it in mid February and can do weekdays or weekends.

I will provide the parts (again with guidance), I did see a note saying that Drayco belts are fitted as standard on Hdis but I really don't know.

Thanks,
Ollie
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Re: Xantia Hdi 110 Cambelt Change Help?

Post by JohnD »

Although they do advise changing the water pump at the same time as the cambelt, if as I understand it, the water pump was changed 5000 miles ago then there's no need to change it again. If you go to a reputable dealer like GSF or ECP you'll get either a Dayco or a Gates belt - either are the tops. It would be worth getting the kit which includes the cambelt, pulley and tensioner. Also get a new auxillary belt to put on as you finish. As for giving manual help - I'm 1300 miles away from Guildford.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

HDi cambelt is 100k or 10 years, so unless you're at 200k, it's either not due, or 4 years overdue if it's never been done!!

I wrote up the procedure after I did mine a couple of years ago: HDi 110 cambelt change

You need a decent breaker bar to get the crank bolt out (unless you've got a windy gun!). A 10mm flexi ratchet spanner makes a sinch of getting the rear cover bolt out. Be very very careful bleeding it, otherwise you cook the electric water heater.

I'd offer to help (I'd do almost anything for a beer :mrgreen: ) but it's about a 400 mile drive to here.... :roll:
Richard W
olliewarwick1

Post by olliewarwick1 »

Hi Guys,
Thanks very much for your replies.

According to the paperwork that I go with the car it was done at 90,000 some years back and the water pump wasn't changed then. It has now has 195,000 on the clock and is 13 years old, sorry I didn't explain myself very clearly. Thanks for the post, I'll take another read, although it still makes me nervous.
As for the crank bolt, correct my if I'm wrong but I think I had to take this off to change the noisy crank pulley which I managed with a long torque wrench??? I also put a new auxillary belt on which was only about 3,000 back so will probably use that one again. I do remember that being a real a*%ehole to get the new auxillary belt on.

Thanks,
Ollie
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

There is a body of opinion that says a cambelt should be changed at five yearly intervals whatever the mileage - a bit like the advice given about tyres on a lightly used vehicle.

I'd be inclined to do it just for the peace of mind...

An HDi cambelt really is quite straightforward compared to some. If you can do an auxiliary belt then a cambelt will not pose any challenge.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...