fap removal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wigelywoo
My Cars:

fap removal

Post by wigelywoo »

Has anyone removed the fap from a 1.6HDI and what were the results.
TIA
There are two secrets to success
1. never reveal all you know
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: fap removal

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

While I cannot help on the FAP, there is a question that needs to be answered first. What is the vehicle and what year?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
wigelywoo
My Cars:

Post by wigelywoo »

2007 picasso
There are two secrets to success
1. never reveal all you know
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Now you should get answers to your original question. I am unable to help you myself, as I've not done anything to a FAP (whatever that is).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

This is a Renault page but it will answer your 'whatever that is' comment:

http://www.renault.co.uk/about/innovations/fap.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
BigBadBob
My Cars:

Post by BigBadBob »

I'm also contemplating removing the DPF (which I believe is a different word for the FAP). From the searches which I have done, it'll make the vehicle run better, possibly help avoid turbo failure (see thread Trying To Avooid 1.6HDI Turbo Failure http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=42948), but does require a remap, to re-program the engine management system. That is from looking at the websites of one or two companies that re-map. My local mechanic, however, says he has cut a few out and not required a re-map (he wasn't very clear which cars he had cut them from)
2006 1.6 HDI C5 VTR Estate
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

We have been working on this for a while, and it seems that the 1.6 hdi is tricky to get right. My son has a 206 GTI Hdi 1.6, so this has been our guinea pig car, and we may have just about cracked it now. We fabricated a straight through pipe, with no temp sensor or cat , the turbo was overhauled at the same time, sump removed and cleaned , and egr blanked off.
The car has come up with fault codes on and off since we did it, and the mapping thing is a total minefield, so don't just ring around and get the first person who says they can do it.
I can tell you that if you drill two 15 mm holes through the dpf (using a plumbers masonry drill), then this will effectively remove the dpf back pressure, but will not cause any fault lights to come on, as their will be enough pressure difference to "trick" the system. Certainly the cheapest way to do it.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

wigelywoo wrote:Has anyone removed the fap from a 1.6HDI and what were the results.
TIA
Mine isn't a 1.6 but a 2ltr. I had my FAP - DPF is the same thing - removed 18 months ago. A guy near Eastbourne did it for me for about £200. Since my car was approaching 85000 miles, I was guessing that it would soon be time to refill the eolys fluid tank. I chose to spend the outlay on the removal. Briefly what he did was to drop the exhaust system, unbold the filter from it and drill three large holes through the core. The exhaust system was replaced and since the filter box was still there, there's no visible signs that anything has been done. Next the ECU was removed from the car and taken into the guy's house where it was connected up to his computer. I ddn't watch the process but apparently all traces of the regeneration process is removed from the ECU. The unit was replaced in the car and that was the job done. When I first drove the car, acceleration was like the proverbial scolded cat, but quickly one gets used to that. Although the engine is livelier, I can't say I've noticed any great gains in fuel economy. Since having the job done, the car has been through an MOT. No comment was made about the absence of the FAP, and on the smoke test, there was just a slight increase on the previous year. And there has been no warning notices on the dash board panel.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The fuel consumption of the 1.6 is pretty good already, unlike the 2.2 so I don't really see the need to remove the DPF, I topped up the Eolys fluid in my 2.2 in about half an hour and for a cost of about £40.00 for a litre - from ebay of course.

Peter
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Peter.N. wrote:The fuel consumption of the 1.6 is pretty good already, unlike the 2.2 so I don't really see the need to remove the DPF, I topped up the Eolys fluid in my 2.2 in about half an hour and for a cost of about £40.00 for a litre - from ebay of course.

Peter
The dpf is not too much of an issue if the car is run correctly, but once it blocks up, the turbo seems to suffer pretty quickly in my opinion. I would say that the 1.6 benefits more than any other car by having it removed.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami