C5 2.0 HDi - Moving air intake

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Northern_Mike

C5 2.0 HDi - Moving air intake

Post by Northern_Mike »

Somewhat concerningly, I've read the posts on here where the unlucky ones have had water sucked into the engines with C5 S1 HDis. Anyway, whilst I was fiddling with the throttle cable the other day, I thought I'd check the airfilter for cleanliness. Well, it needs changing, but it was also quite wet. Now, we've had some pretty deep water round here over the last month or so, and I really do slow for it, but it seems the air intake is down at the bottom of the "spike" on the airbox, which is ridiculous really..

Has anyone moved the intake somewhere else? I've put a dry filter in it but it does concern me a little..
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: C5 2.0 HDi - Moving air intake

Post by myglaren »

If it isn't missing, there should be a long flexible hose similar to a tumble drier exhaust connected to that 'spike' that then runs into the nearside wheel arch, behind the liner.

I found that my air filter was soaked through and the 'well' in the airbox full of water and grit.
The MAF was also soaked and badly corroded.
This all got a lot worse (after an air filter change and new MAF) when the wheel arch liner went awol.

I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the 'well' to allow water to drain away.

Because of the location of the end of the hose it is still vulnerable to water form the road verges.

The C5-3 has the air intake relocated higher up.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Thanks for that, I'll check the pipe is still there.. I think it may be missing. I can always get *something* from somewhere and fashion it so the air is taken from higher up.

Do you think it's worth fitting a non-paper airfilter, like a K&N panel filter? I guess it would dry out easier and be resusable.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Couldn't say re the K&N type filter, never been involved with them.

I have been looking for some of those 'tangled ball of plastic thread' type pan scourers to shove in the hose to try and keep the water out.
Haven't found any large enough yet.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Ekky Thump Mike, you change your username nearly as often as you change cars :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:Ekky Thump Mike, you change your username nearly as often as you change cars :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The server would crash if I did that Jim.